The Instigators 3.1.19 [1/2]

A recent interview with Owen May is available on the Radio.com app and the wgr550 website. The transcript is available here in VHL.com.

(Intro Playing)

Craig Rivet: This is hour two of our March 1st broadcast, we just got off the phone with Darren Dreager discussing the Buffalo Sabres trade deadline acquisition. Finally, the people of Buffalo have some feel good hockey stories after the depression of the tragic Sabres skid.

Marty Biron: A little morbid there, eh Rives?

C: Rough morning driving in. But I digress. So we have Owen May, a goaltender from Buffalo, drafted 24th overall in the VHLM entree draft by the Houston Bulls on the phone. How are you doing Owen?

O: Great Guys, How are you?

C: We're doing just fine, so how are you enjoying the Texas weather?

O: I like that I don't have to shovel in the morning but having the a/c on in February is a bit much.

Andrew Peters: Isn't hockey always in a/c? (chuckles)

O: I guess so, but when I come home I like to be a nice temperature. Be able to go under the covers when I go to bed. Luckily this paycheck will cover my electrical bill.

C: Alright we'll get to the real questions, how do you feel about your hometown Sabres?

O: It appears to be a mess over there doesn't it? It may not be the results we wanted but we're still growing.

M: Didn't we want to cheer the people up? Let's talk about our budding goaltender eh?

C: Of course you're only interested in the goalie aspect. So the VHL has been competing against the NHL for the world's attention and slowly the VHL has begun to catch up. Do you think the VHL will become the world's most popular hockey league?

O: Soon, I think the league is more global compared to the NHL. Though they have games in Finland and China, they don't give the feel of a true hockey team. Having teams in Europe gives the VHL a bonus.

M: Any intention of coming to the NHL?

O: I can't imagine myself being in the NHL if I'm not wearing the blue and gold. The VHL has welcomed me much warmer than the NHL. I'm very content with travelling across the world to play. Much rather go to Europe then Glendale [AZ]

A: Do you think that call will ever come from Buffalo?

O: Being honest, I don't think so. I think they have good goalie depth and I don't think I'm even on their watchlist. If I were to sign with them I'd want to play in the NHL not spend time in the AHL. I love Rochester, but it doesn't give the same atmosphere of the VHL. I love the organization, watched them from a young age but I want to be in a top league consistently.

C: So, have you taken anything from Marty's game when you were watching as a kid?

O: Haha I can't say I tried taking his fighting ability. But I make sure to rewatch the brawl to get my visual training from Petey.

A: Well he is the weakest of us all

M: Well I got better things to do den throw my fists around. I was a little more concerned with da puck going in de back of de net.

C: Alright, before we start a war, we're heading for break, so thank you Owen, we'll talk to you later. Good luck this season and we can't wait for your call up.

O: Thanks Guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Review: I really enjoyed this interview. I am impressed that you kept the interview interesting and asked some unique questions. In the future try adding some color or pictures to take your media spots to the next level!