From Iceland to... Iceland If It Was In Canada [1/2]

bluesfan55

You know, I always thought I left Iceland when I was in Ottawa. It was a huge metropolitan hub for Canada. Sure, Reykjavik is a capital too, but it’s minuscule compared to Ottawa. Ottawa is just so urban and modern. They have a great nightlife scene and a really efficient transportation system. The people there are so friendly and want to see the teams succeed (especially the Lynx). I loved Ottawa. We had a nice team and got some good results last season. I thought the GMs liked me enough to draft me, but when draft day came, I realized they couldn’t. Their first pick of the draft was 27th overall, and I wasn’t going to last that long. Yukon and Minnesota had the most picks, but hadn’t contacted me about going there. So I was surprised when the Rush picked me.

I had no idea where Yukon was, to be honest. I didn’t know anyone there besides Val Morozov (who was drafted there with me). So when I arrived with my girlfriend after landing in Whitehorse (It was a very complicated procedure. We had to fly to Calgary and then board another plane and fly to Whitehorse), I wasn’t sure what to expect. That’s when I realized that Whitehorse is pretty much just like home. It’s small. The population is only around 25,000, which is really tiny compared to Reykjavik (Reykjavik has a population of 123,000 and is basically the center of Iceland, as two thirds of the country’s population lives in the Capital Region), but reminds me of Akureyri, where my family had a home. Not to mention that the landscape is basically same. It’s really cold, but there’s a lot of green, and you can see the Northern Lights here, just like in Iceland. I feel as if I’ve never left Iceland (the only real differences are the languages spoken and the preferred sports). Not to mention that it’s really cozy in Whitehorse. I can walk around the streets and be a nobody, which is nice. I mean, I loved getting recognized in Ottawa, but sometimes it would get to be too much. One time after a game, I was walking back to my apartment with Walter Clements when a guy asked us to sign his girlfriend’s boobies. His words, not mine. You see, that stuff doesn’t happen in Whitehorse. The fans want you to succeed (like in Ottawa), but don’t get on you as much as other team’s fans would. They’re nice and polite. It’s like you’re part of a massive family in Yukon. The entire province is invested in the Rush. From Whitehorse to Dawson City, fans will come in to watch our home games. I love being in such a beautiful city. It’s quickly become a second home. Sure, we haven’t gotten the results that we’ve wanted, but the Rush fans will be by our sides no matter what, and I know they’ll always have our backs. Thanks for drafting me, Yukon. I love your city and hope I can stay as long as I can.

• 2 months later...
  • DollarAndADream changed the title to From Iceland to... Iceland If It Was In Canada [1/2]