Modest starts

okochastar

Guillaume Fontenette is looking happy after finishing his first season in the VHLM.

He finished with 15 assists in 39 played games and was the leading defenseman in plus-minus, if you exclude the magnificent Hiromu Takahashi, who was traded mid-season from Minnesota. Fontenette was dry in scoring for most of year but added a goal in a 6-2 loss against the Yukon Rush. Fontenette looks to be a solid two-way defenseman for next year and doesn’t seem discouraged by the season that just ended.

“Of course, it wasn’t what I was expecting when joining. But even though we had an up and down season, coach always let me be competitive and try my hardest on ice, and that’s what matters. I obviously had to be aggressive and quik against some of the best forwards in the league, but I held my own in my opinion.”

Coming up is the VHL Entry Draft and although Guillaume Fontenette is a very young and very raw prospect, he’s touted as a surprise pick in one of the earlier rounds.

“I don’t think there’s much to that. The VHL general managers do their scouting well and I’m sure I deserve the number I’m drafted at.”