Interview with Rhye Tyr

Welcome to the Barnes show were we interview player across the league and get their take on different topics. Today we’re here with Rhye Tyr. Upcoming season 66 defensive prospect playing for the Halifax 21st.

How have you enjoyed your last season and a half playing for Halifax?

”it’s been an honour, management is great, uhh... love the locker room and I’m proud to be a Halifax alumni next season.”

Towards the end of the season your team struggled a little bit coming into the playoffs. What changes did you make to improve your game?

”I got pucks in deep, played faster, tried not to get hit as much, uh... had to make smarter offensive decisions as well.”

Halifax is up 3 and 2 in your series against Houston right now. After dropping game 5 4-2 how do you plan on tightening up on the back end?

”I just have to stick to my game plan, block shots, get pucks in deep, win battles. It helps too because I’ve got Moose and Volosenkov beside me who are really good defensively so that definitely helps out.”

What are your thoughts on prospect Julius Freeman? In his latest projections he’s expected to go third overall. Since you’ve seen him grow all season does this surprise you at all?

”I’m surprised he’s not going first in my opinion. He’s a great all around guy, dependable, definitely captain material when he gets the experience he needs. If he doesn’t go second whoever takes him third is getting a gem. I hope I get the chance to play with him in the majors. The inside of my helmet is autographed by him.”

At one point you were projected to be top five but now you’re at 21st. What happened that you dropped so far on draft rankings?

“Life got too busy, couldn’t keep up with the training like I wanted to. Things just didn’t quite go my way but I’m looking forward to the future and the seeing where I end up in the VHL. Hopefully I can play with some of these guys again someday.”

Well that’s all the time we have for today. Thanks @Plate for coming in and doing the interview with me today.

Halifax is set to play game 6 on March 15tg 2019 at 7pm Central in Houston as they look to close out the series and take on Minnesota in the Founders Cup Finals. Best of luck to Rhye and Halifax coming into this game. Join us next time where we fill you in on the players perspectives on the going ons around the VHLM.