From Pond to Premier Prospect: Chyrnoble Sounds

From Pond to Premier VHL Prospect

By: Charlie Hodgkinson

At the end of the S63 VHL season, there we rumors drumming about a 14 year old Slovakian skater that had simply fallen off the map only a season after being touted as one of the best forwards the country had seen in years.  Wrike Chyrnoble, a Top 3 prospect lock for seasons to come, led the junior league by leaps and bounds.  Not just a big body, he featured smooth hands and this hybrid snap shot that was on of the fastest releases many scouts had ever seen.

But then went silence.  For a full season actually.

With the change in position came a learning curve that many didn't think Wrike could adjust to in preparation.  Mentally he hasn't ever been afraid of change or a new challenge.  Physically and positionally it was a whole new world. 

"It wasn't about just going out there and being after the game.  It is a different mentality between the pipes.  I started going after the game... being impatient, trying to guess and react on what I would do if that was me carrying the puck.  My first three games seemed like a nightmare.  You go from the star on the first line to being boo-ed.  It isn't kind to any ego... It was overwhelming and I struggled with my fundamentals." Wrike describing his initial take on his position switch.

After starting 3-7-2 through his first 12 games, Chyrnoble had an unlikely visitor to stop by and give some advice. 

"He was stretching on the far end of the rink and he happened to see me walk in.  I was kind of shocked that he didn't stand up right away and walk towards, but then again... I was told the kid is pretty quiet and observant.  I casually walked up and introduced myself with no hesitation... it was very casual.  As if he had been expecting me.  He was all work... What can I do here?  When do I do this? How do you handle that?  He was like a sponge.  It really reminded me of myself when I was going through Juniors." Jaroslav Halak, an NHL standout explained.

Within three weeks the caliber at which Chyrnoble played at on the rink started to replicate in the goaltender behind his mask.  Carrying his team in back to back shutouts and finding ways to generate offense by quickly moving a dump into the zone. 

"Once it started clicking, I found my zone.  I needed to let the game come to me.  I was rushing all the time... Worrying about this and that... things I could not control nor needed to.  As a goaltender you need to let the game come to you.  I finally developed that... My teammates supported lulls and the offense played with more confidence.  It was a whole new game that is one that I would never consider going back on.  Man tho... there were times I would've said otherwise."

With the draft quickly approaching, Wrike continues to solidify himself as a high profile prospect.  Time will tell as to what his plans are.  Many wonder if he will shoot straight to the bigs and our assumptions are so after a season.  It's simply a matter of development.  Either way... He has a future here in the VHL.

@VHLM GM