I was going to draft Shane Mars 1st overall

Victor

• Admin

After the trade of the first overall pick, Moscow Menace GM Victor Alfredsson decided to stir shit up and said the following:

“For a few days now I have been debating trading the first overall pick or sticking with it. On one hand you had a guaranteed franchise player in HHH, on the other two guaranteed VHL players but perhaps neither quite so good.

Oh wait no, it wasn't a decision between HHH and two players, as I was going to draft Shane Mars first overall. This isn't me trying to grab the headlines after losing the spotlight of the first overall pick, this is the truth. I spoke to both HHH and Mars and realised that the chances of Moscow keeping HHH beyond his entry-level contract were about 50/50 – yeah he left it open to be convinced but I think it was too much of a risk. Mars on the other hand indicated that he would be motivated by being drafted first overall over HHH and would be glad to represent Menace loyally after that.

So I was on the verge of deciding to surprise the league and pick Mars first. That would have been fun to watch, as suddenly all the teams immediately below who have been trading up and down and all around the top 4 picks would realise that all this time HHH was available at second overall and in fact would go to Vancouver. But alas, I ultimately decided that the drop from Mars to fifth overall wasn't big enough to justify missing out on basically a free asset in tenth overall. We really need assets.

I leave the drama in the hands of Riga now, perhaps their GM will take Mars first to fuck with everyone. I wish I had that choice but needs must. Just thought I'd tell you what could have been.”

• 11 months later...
On 4/28/2019 at 4:23 PM, Victor said:

After the trade of the first overall pick, Moscow Menace GM Victor Alfredsson decided to stir shit up and said the following:

“For a few days now I have been debating trading the first overall pick or sticking with it. On one hand you had a guaranteed franchise player in HHH, on the other two guaranteed VHL players but perhaps neither quite so good.

Oh wait no, it wasn't a decision between HHH and two players, as I was going to draft Shane Mars first overall. This isn't me trying to grab the headlines after losing the spotlight of the first overall pick, this is the truth. I spoke to both HHH and Mars and realised that the chances of Moscow keeping HHH beyond his entry-level contract were about 50/50 – yeah he left it open to be convinced but I think it was too much of a risk. Mars on the other hand indicated that he would be motivated by being drafted first overall over HHH and would be glad to represent Menace loyally after that.

So I was on the verge of deciding to surprise the league and pick Mars first. That would have been fun to watch, as suddenly all the teams immediately below who have been trading up and down and all around the top 4 picks would realise that all this time HHH was available at second overall and in fact would go to Vancouver. But alas, I ultimately decided that the drop from Mars to fifth overall wasn't big enough to justify missing out on basically a free asset in tenth overall. We really need assets.

I leave the drama in the hands of Riga now, perhaps their GM will take Mars first to fuck with everyone. I wish I had that choice but needs must. Just thought I'd tell you what could have been.”

This is a yikes and a W at the same time