Moose Ready for a Great First Season

Toasty

Basaraba Moose was recently acquired by the Malmo Nighthawks as their first and only defenseman so far. He had expressed interest in playing for the expansion franchise and was picked up through a trade with Riga. Moose is reportadly over the moon to be in Malmo and in a recent interview, here is what he had to say.

Q: Take us through the turn of events that lead up to the trade. What were your initial reactions and emotions throughout the day?

A: Well quite honestly I expected to go to Malmo, so really no shocker there. The only thing that surprised me a little bit was the way in which they actually acquired me. I had been phoned by the GM of Malmo the previous week. He left a message, asking whether I'd be into playing for his team or not, seeing as I was likely going to be exposed in the expansion draft. I didn't actually hear the message at first but as soon as did, it didn't take me long to process what he had said, and I knew almost right away that this was definitely a career choice I wanted to make. I called him back and we talked about how I felt I wouldn't be well-used in Riga and how I would be a good fit for the team. He told me that it was between my and my longtime teammate Teagan Glover and that he couldn't really decide who he liked more. A few days passed without hearing a peep from him and then suddenly the expansion draft was upon us. I was at the gym during the event, so I didn't see the results until I got back. The first thing I noticed was a message from the Malmo GM on my phone. He told me how he had not taken me in the expansion draft, but had instead taken Glover and traded picks for me. I didn't really have time to be sad about being passed over in expansion, because I was just so happy to be on Malmo. Even happier to get to play with Glover once again.

Q: Was anything said between you and the Riga GM, prior to the trade?

A: Not prior to, but he also left a message on my phone, which I heard after I had listened to Advantage's message. He explained how he hadn't planned to trade me, but Malmo had shown interest in me and he knew I was interested in playing there. He was honestly amazingly gracious about the whole thing. No ill will seemed to come from him. He could understand me wanting to play there. I was very pleased when I heard his message, and it capped off what was a spectacular day for me.

Q: Knowing you are a rookie at this point, and currently Malmo's best option on the blueline, how do you think you'll fare in the VHL next season?

A: I'm confident. I've really been working on my game all summer and playing at the brand tournament will help me get in shape for sure. I love the idea of being the go-to guy for Malmo next season. Being the guy they call on to quarterback the powerplay and bolster the penalty kill, or to make a big play for the team. It has been the kind of role I have gotten used to playing in Halifax and I am extremely happy that I will have a similar opportunity this season. I mean, how often is it that a guy can go from the VHLM to a number 1 role in the VHL in one season? My guess is not very, so I am thankful to hedge, Advantage, and everyone who helped make this happen, and I am more than ready to step into the VHL.