Claimed:Being a Noob

Being a Noob

First off, I can’t believe that this May will already by my second year in the VHL. Ever since I became active again, it’s been a great time as I enjoy this website so much that I stay up until midnight on Sunday night just to write a media spot (like I am right now.) While I can no longer say I am a noob, I want to talk about what made me go inactive for a while and what made me stay.

When my brother, Jim/Flyersfan, first told me about the VHL, I thought it was a really dumb idea because I already did enough writing in school and didn’t really want to do any more writing than I had to. After a lot of nagging from him, I finally gave the VHL a try. I soon discovered that writing point tasks and stuff really wasn’t that bad, and was actually kind of enjoyable as I got to know more about the league. I also discovered that while you wrote point tasks to make tpe, the league had so much more to offer community wise.

I joined the VHL the day before the VHLM draft, which made me a relative unknown leading up the draft. Luck was on my side however, as my brother was a waiver wire pickup by the Ottawa Ice Dogs the year before and was a good friend of Ottawa’s GM, Jericho. Ottawa was competing for a cup that season, and Jericho decided he wanted to have me and my brother on the same team. He wound up drafting Flyersfan in the 1st round and me in the 3rd round (I was probably the steal of the draft).

Jericho was a great GM as he was in communication with me nearly every day in some form. One thing he did really well that I think all GM’s should do is, before the draft, he sent me a pm explaining he would like to draft me, along with explaining the situation with me and my brother. While these pms before the draft may not seem like a lot, they mean a lot to new players such as the noob version of me, as it made me feel wanted and excited for the draft.

ygmlogo.gif

Throughout the season, Jericho did a great job keeping me interested in the league as the locker room was really active and had some funny conversations. I also remember him posting on nearly all of my point tasks, which once again made me feel wanted. However, outside of Jericho and Flyersfan, I don’t recall anyone really chatting with me or talking to me often (this is important later in the story.) To keep the story short, my time in Ottawa was very fun and kept me interested in the league.

After my first season with Ottawa, I was traded to the Kolari Panthers. This is where I believe I started losing interest in the league. Jericho and my brother let me know I was traded to Kolari, but I never received any kind of notice from Kolari’s GM, Chris/Advantage. I did not receive a single pm, chat message, or welcome message in the locker room welcoming me to the team. I didn’t post in my new locker room for a few days, and when I did it was the first time I received any form of recognition from the team.

While Kolari was a playoff team and good contenders, I found the locker room to be much duller than Ottawa. It didn’t help that a few of our actives went inactive, but I don’t feel as though Advantage did a great job keeping the locker room active. I remember the locker room was pretty much Munk and Advantage talking, and I felt largely ignored. While I still did point tasks every week and enjoyed the league because of my brother, my interest was dwindling.  At this moment, no one was really chatting with me besides Flyersfan, and I felt no connection to the league.

disconnected_tn1.jpg

After a pretty meh season in Kolari, I moved up to the big leagues after being drafted my Riga. My memory is hazy here as I think I was active for maybe one season in Riga before not really being active. I don’t really blame Mike here, as I remember he did try to keep in contact with me a lot and ask me why I wasn’t doing point tasks, along with having a decently active locker room. I do also recall planning on writing media spots a lot, but then procrastinating on homework and never getting around to them. Because I felt like I wasn’t improving my player, my interest in the league pretty much went away (I think if welfare was implemented at the time I may have stayed).

I had an inactive stretch for a while, and came back after my brother told me I was traded from Riga to New York. This trade was exactly what I needed, I guess just as a wake-up call. This trade also allowed Chris to redeem himself, as he was probably the reason I went both inactive and active again. He was a great GM for me in New York, as we had an excellent locker room in my few seasons there and I enjoyed our cup runs. He helped me build my player (to all 400 tpe of it) and I really enjoyed my time there. I now had some new people to talk with as well such as Advantage, Doomsday, Victor, and Sterling (all of them were in New York’s locker room during my time there).

To end my really long story, I think the most important thing we can do with new players is to make them feel connected to the league and wanted. This is why I do my best to chat with new players, send out draft pms to everyone, and have an active Yukon locker room. Also, I’m not hating on Chris here as he more than made up for himself when he was my GM in New York. However, now that I am on Riga again, all I have to say to Chris is, “Boooooooooooooo New York sucks!”

oE07QdW.png

Content: 3/3 - I loved this story. As a somewhat-still new members, I can relate to your story here, feeling a bit isolated. It's great that you had a brother to help you along the way though!

Grammar: 1.50/2 - There were errors here that didn't really affect the flow of reading through it, but the fact they were repetitive knocked you down a few notches. All grammatical, not many spelling errors. Good job.

it's - its

spot (like I am right now.) - spot (Like I am right now).

tpe - TPE

my side however, - my side, however,

pm(s) (x4) - PM

cup (x2) - Cup

Appearance: 1/1 - Simple and easy.

Overall: 5.50/6

Guest Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3

1,039 words. This was great. You exemplified your trials and tribulations here in the VHL, of which I'm glad things turned out for you. You were honest about your experiences and I know I've always tried to be helpful to motivate and keep people around that I've come in contact with.

Grammar: 2/2

I don't really know if there needed to be any deduction here. Word count + severity of the mistakes doesn't really add up to enough for that.

right now.) = right now).

make tpe = earn TPE

community wise = community-wise

VHLM draft = VHLM Draft

leading up the draft = leading up to the draft

story.) = story). (period always goes outside of the brackets)

ask = asked

Appearance: 1/1

Very nice.

Overall: 6/6