The Nighthawk Chronicles: The First Nighthawk

The Nighthawk Chronicles: The First Nighthawk

By Christopher Miller

Lucas Nygren will not be the first player to hit the ice as a Malmo Nighthawk.  The young nineteen-year-old from the Malmo region will however be the first to ever be signed by the team.  Today, the Malmo Nighthawks General Manager announced that the team has signed the young forward to an exclusive deal that will keep the center from being able to be drafted in Season Sixty-Seven and will instead just have him added immediately to the Nighthawks.  We have seen this kind of deal in the past with the likes of J.B. Rift and Kronos Bailey for their respective teams.

The General Manager released the following statement:  “Today, we announce that we have signed one of our future cornerstones to our team.  Lucas Nygren is a local talent that has become a media sensation over the years and will now be one of our top prospects going forward.  He will report to the Victory Hockey League Minors where he will report to the Saskatoon Wild who own his rights.  Lucas brings us Championship experience after winning the Founders Cup last season and brings a ton of skills to the table including tremendous speed, scoring ability and vision, that will match up well with our young wingers.”

When asked for a comment, Lucas could not stop talking about being a member of his local city’s new VHL team: “I’m so excited to be a Nighthawk.  The team is making a lot of waves in our city and I’m thrilled to eventually put on that jersey in the future.  Sweden has long had a rough history with the VHL and I’m excited to help change that so we can put Malmo on the map and showcase the talent that our squad has.  What do I bring to the table? Speed, a good shot, solid vision and I think I am pretty defensively responsible.  I have some muscle to put on of course, but I’m confident that I will have a good year in Saskatoon and will bring a lot of good things to the team there.”

This is of course the first announced player that will be a part of the franchise but with both an expansion draft and a VHL draft yet to come, look for more announcements soon on who else will join Nygren on the Malmo Nighthawks.  One has to expect that while Nygren will not be on the team this year, that there is a very likely chance that he will strut his stuff in black and green as soon as next season, which could be the start of a very dangerous offensive crop in Malmo.  We will leave you with a quote from one of their new season ticket holders:

“We are expecting great things from the Nighthawks and Lucas will be a tremendous add that we can look forward to.  He was an amazing young juniors player and really showcased the talent that you need to be an elite forward in the Victory Hockey League.”

Nighthawks-Logo-1.png