Lil' Bertie [2/2]

I took a player render of Steve Yzerman as a child, cut that out, put it over a smoke like background. I then took the photo that was wildly old of 12 year old Steve and blended the edges with the background so that it looked natural and not like a shitty cutout pasted over a high def background. I also played with the hues and saturation to give it the color effect that you are looking at. I also added the blur/smudge effect not only on the player render outline, but to his jersey as well to keep the entire thing looking consistent. I also thought I did a reasonable job making it look like an older/retro photo of a current player.

Xu497CX.jpg

hJbNQen.jpg

Idk took me probably as long as it would've taken me to write a 500 word article, but you be the judge. It wasn't simply a photo taken from Google...

@DollarAndADream I guess I'm failing to see how this is different than most other graphics and even your last two graphic posts of Bails and Davis...which are player renders, cutout over a background with a player name and a few effects and some lighting....

Edited by RunnerBert11

6 hours ago, RunnerBert11 said:

I took a player render of Steve Yzerman as a child, cut that out, put it over a smoke like background. I then took the photo that was wildly old of 12 year old Steve and blended the edges with the background so that it looked natural and not like a shitty cutout pasted over a high def background. I also played with the hues and saturation to give it the color effect that you are looking at. I also added the blur/smudge effect not only on the player render outline, but to his jersey as well to keep the entire thing looking consistent. I also thought I did a reasonable job making it look like an older/retro photo of a current player.

Xu497CX.jpg

hJbNQen.jpg

Idk took me probably as long as it would've taken me to write a 500 word article, but you be the judge. It wasn't simply a photo taken from Google...

@DollarAndADream I guess I'm failing to see how this is different than most other graphics and even your last two graphic posts of Bails and Davis...which are player renders, cutout over a background with a player name and a few effects and some lighting....

Pretty sure there's a clear cut difference between our graphics. I'm not amazing by any means compared to some of the top sig makers on here, but that's a pretty hard slam against my skills. Hahaha. Fuck me.

Main thing is, if you cut it down to like 400x150 or 200, etc, down to a regular sig size, it wouldn't be so glaring. The player render you have there just looks really pixelated, when the original isn't that bad. Just figured I'd ask as this was put under review.

I'll be the first to admit when I responded to this post I was a little perturbed as I actually did put a fair deal of effort into this sig, at the same time I can see where you are coming from as far as the pixelated look and overall quality, as they do look poor. I will also admit that I am very green to photo-editing and I am using GIMP which I recently found out about and downloaded when I joined this league. In that respects I will admit it takes me a fair deal of time to put together some components that may take a skilled photo-editor a few minutes to accomplish. I also see that my guys name is only one single font opposed to the two different fonts with a team name or position sometimes used, but I thought that the theme and idea of the retro throwback kid picture looked better with just a plain "kiddie tag" (lil' bertie) opposed to the full name, team and position. I will say that your graphics are far better quality, but at the same time I don't think that my graphics are lacking time or effort and I believe the amount of layers and effects I attempt to add are suffience and inline with what I am seeing as a norm across the league.

@DollarAndADream On that note I would like to say I am sorry for dragging your graphics into this and I do appreciate the fact that you take your role seriously and actually look into and question some of the time, effort and quality of the PT's that are submitted. I would like to formally apologize for this little exchange and hope we can put this behind us. Being recently drafted into the VHL I hope to stay around the league for quite some time to come, and don't wish to make any enemies or get on the bad side of anyone, especially someone who has the reputation and long standing history within the league like you do. Have a great weekend, sorry again and good luck to you and your team in the upcoming season. Cheer!

15 minutes ago, RunnerBert11 said:

I'll be the first to admit when I responded to this post I was a little perturbed as I actually did put a fair deal of effort into this sig, at the same time I can see where you are coming from as far as the pixelated look and overall quality, as they do look poor. I will also admit that I am very green to photo-editing and I am using GIMP which I recently found out about and downloaded when I joined this league. In that respects I will admit it takes me a fair deal of time to put together some components that may take a skilled photo-editor a few minutes to accomplish. I also see that my guys name is only one single font opposed to the two different fonts with a team name or position sometimes used, but I thought that the theme and idea of the retro throwback kid picture looked better with just a plain "kiddie tag" (lil' bertie) opposed to the full name, team and position. I will say that your graphics are far better quality, but at the same time I don't think that my graphics are lacking time or effort and I believe the amount of layers and effects I attempt to add are suffience and inline with what I am seeing as a norm across the league.

@DollarAndADream On that note I would like to say I am sorry for dragging your graphics into this and I do appreciate the fact that you take your role seriously and actually look into and question some of the time, effort and quality of the PT's that are submitted. I would like to formally apologize for this little exchange and hope we can put this behind us. Being recently drafted into the VHL I hope to stay around the league for quite some time to come, and don't wish to make any enemies or get on the bad side of anyone, especially someone who has the reputation and long standing history within the league like you do. Have a great weekend, sorry again and good luck to you and your team in the upcoming season. Cheer!

It's all good, man. I just want to make sure the right amount of effort is put into things. Not everybody can be as amazing as some of the guys we have here! I figured I'd just ask.

This league is for fun, after all.

Review:

Without getting into the backstory, I will comment on what I see. It looks like you did a fair amount of work on this graphic. I don't think Andy Warhol has much on you. Good effort. Make it smaller and keep them coming.