lecavalier-201213.jpg

Name: Donald Draper
Hometown: Stratford, Ontario
Position: Defense
Number: 77
Team: Yukon Rush
Player Type: Two-Way Defensemen

Entrance to the VHLM

The story behind Don Draper’s arrival to the VHLM is an interesting one. While I won’t get into too much detail in this profiling, I will say that after announcing his entry to the Season 37 VHLM Dispersal Draft only 24 hours prior to the draft, he was selected in the first-round by the Yukon Rush. This was a huge surprise to many analysts and spectators watching the draft. Officials from within the Rush organization later stated that when they looked at Draper they saw “dedication, potential, and passion.”

Play Style

Donald Drapers play style is extremely similar to that of Scott Stevens, former captain of the New Jersey Devils over in the NHL, in the sense that they are both offensively capable yet defensively explosive. We have even seen Draper perform Stevens’ trademark hit a couple of times this season, making guys think twice about crossing center ice with their heads down.

However, like Stevens, Draper certainly isn't all hits. The combination of Drapers speed, strength, and big shot make him more than capable on the offensive front. While we haven’t fully seen Draper in offense-mode yet this season, as he has often been acting as a stay-at-home defensemen (presumably at the direction of the Rush coaching staff), looking at his past career we see huge potential for this two-way defensemen in the offensive zone as he progresses as a player.

scott-stevens.jpg

Draper leveling a guy in the corner. 

VHLM Season 37

As previously mentioned, Don Draper was drafted by the Yukon Rush in the Season 37 VHLM Dispersal Draft. So far this season we have seen Draper play impeccable defensive hockey, but not much else. Although we certainly expect to see Draper break out as an offensive player at some point in his career, it is clear that now is not the time. This is probably a good thing. He needs to establish himself as a solid, top-notch defender before he shows what he can do in the offensive zone.

Season 37 Stats (As of March 17th, 2014)
Goals: 2
Assists: 3
+/-: 20
Hits: 30

As you can see by the stats posted above, Draper’s offensive stats are meager. However, you can see by his plus/minus that he is a force to be reckoned with defensively. I believe Draper is aiming to become someone who his teammates know they can rely on before he starts taking risks.

Pros/Cons

To finish this report off, I will give a brief summary of some of the pros and cons that come along with Donald Draper.

Pros

Skating: Donald Draper has a great stride. He’s fast enough to catch any player who manages to sneak behind him and his partner, yet he has enough endurance to beat other players to the puck every single time.

Defense: As I have said many times throughout this report, Draper is one of the most solid guys you will find on defense. He has the strength and hitting power to take out his opponents, or he has the long reach of his flawless poke-check when he wants to play it safe. He holds the blue line and shuts down the other team. You can’t ask for a better d-man than that.

Dedication: This is one thing I didn’t mention above. Donald Draper’s dedication to his teammates, his coaches, and his progress as a player is almost overwhelming. This is possibly the main reason he was drafted by the Rush; they need someone they can count on to be dedicated to improvement and growth.

Cons

Temper: While Draper definitely has his pros, his temper is certainly not one of them. We have already seen him allow the other team to get under his skin a few times this season and cause penalties as a result of his lashing out. I’m confidant Draper, being the conscientious guy that he is, will work to get his temper under-control for the benefit of his team.

Sore Loser: In hockey, passion is usually a great thing. However, it comes with its downsides. Draper is known to let his passion get the best of him, particularly after a tough loss. His teammates have said that he often won’t even speak in the dressing room after loss. Draper better start being a little more positive after a loss if he hopes to make it to the VHL.

Quiet: Don is not known for being the most vocal guy in the room. He often keeps his thoughts and input to himself, which could damage him in the future is he doesn’t sufficiently communicate with his coaches/teammates.

Content: 5/5 - It certainly was a surprise to everyone when Yukon drafted you with their 10th pick. It looks like their GM must really know what he is doing. Don't worry too much about your stats, you are on a stacked team and your stats will go up as you continue to earn tpe. If you keep up your tpe production, I think you have a chance to be a very good defenseman for whatever VHL team is lucky enough to draft you in the upcoming draft.

Grammar: 1/1 - Perfect, well done.

Appearance: 1/1 - Looks good. 

Over 500 words: 1/1 - Yup.

Overall: 8/8