Wild Wild Start [1/2]

The VHLM season has started with a wild bang. After four games, the Saskatoon Wild are the league leaders going 4-0-0, managing to beat LVA, MIS, HFX, and YUK. 

image.png.342f2852ff174c56f4719c2ffed87836.png

A key contributor to their early success is the top line. Consisting of Raphael Nazarians, John Perdue, and the league leader in points with 15, Rocky LaGarza. Appearing to be flying over the ice, these three players were able to contribute a total of 12 goals in four games, 60% of their teams scoring. What makes this feat even more impressive is the fact that all three of these players are rookies to the VHLM. When asked what the key to their early success was, LaGarza replied “I’m not too sure, I think we just feel confident playing with each other. I know that if I send some dirty, between the legs backhand sauce over to Raphy [Nazarians] he’s gonna be able to finish it.” Nazarians, who was with us during the interview, chimed in with “I mean if Rocky is sending them, I’m finishing them.” The top three do have some depth support though. Lucas Nygren, center, has been a shutdown force for the Wild. Managing to have an even +/- while taking the majority of defensive zone faceoffs and leading all forwards in hits with 10.

With the offense so dazzling, it’s easy to forget about the defense protecting the net. No two defenders play as dominant as Anthony Amberback and Rusty Shackleford, the respective heart and soul of their team. Amberback leads the team in hits, leads the defensemen in points and is second in PIMs. Although Shakleford has only managed one point in the four games, he is hardly invisible on the ice. Shackleford, the modern Doug Glatt, is second on the team in hits with 16 and leads the team in PIM. It seems like every hit he throws is calculated and devastating, but often puts him in the penalty box. He responded to criticism about his play style in the first game, where he racked up 13 minutes worth of penalties, with “I just wanted to make them bleed.” Apart from these two, the defense for the wild has been rather relaxed, focusing more on fundamental defensive plays and generating offense from the back end.

Goalie Juan Jaundice had this to say after the four games: "I’m feeling strong, the defense is playing hard, and the offense is basically mortar striking our opponents. Fear the Wild.” Jaundice has also been playing well these past games. At this level, goalies are still developing and growing into their own, but Jaundice has seemed solid. Over the past four games he has put in the work, earning a 0.919 SV% and a GAA of 2.25. Solid play for a team with all of the weapons needed to be dominant. 

The general manager, Peace, was all smiles following the end result of the fourth game. “Good games, we played great. Loving the way our top line can take over a game. And loving how our defense is playing. All we gotta do is keep the pace up, bring the offense to our opponents, and watch the win column fill up.” Overall, the Saskatoon Wild have a promising season ahead of them, and while it’s still very early, this team looks ready for anything that is thrown at it.

536 words

Review:

Great recap of a strong start for the Wild - they were my first VHLM team I played for back in S17 so it's very neat to see them still here in S66! If you added a title to the start of this peice, I would call this perfection! Well formatted, great grammar, awesome use of hyperlinks and got the visual of a picture in there. With Philly, Ottawa, & the Wild all battling for the top of the VHLM - it should be a very interesting race to watch. Sorry my Marlins had to hand you a lost last night ;) 

Great work @Termancy keep it up!