Valeri the Dancing Bear [1/2]

Dangles13

I did not fully expect to go to the Seattle Bears but I always knew in the back of my mind that it was a possibility. They only reached out to me informally just before the draft but I have a history with the manager and I was a fit for their squad. I had no preference, I was merely satisfied to be drafted and offered the opportunity to ply my trade in the Victory Hockey League. I hope to live up to my draft position but I plan to surpass it and show my true potential. Right now, I am being offered the chance to play on the first line and that is quite exciting even if I am not doing much. 

Through nine games I am tied for 4th in team scoring with five points in those nine contests; only a paltry two goals and seventeen shots thus far. I know that I can improve on these as the season goes on but I would have liked to have a hotter start and helped the Bears win more games. I have been able to carry my physical prowess from the minors into the pro league; I am tied for the team lead in hits with thirty-two, though I would like to crack the top ten leaderboards soon. Coach has been telling me to settle down on the penalty minutes as I am second on the team with eight minors for sixteen pims. If I had a few majors for fighting due to protecting my teammates it wouldn't be so bad but being shorthanded is hard on the team.

I was fortunate enough to land on the same team with Clayton Park who was my goalie when I was on the Rush. Park is one of the best teammates around and he has made the transition to Seattle a lot easier on me. I still do not really know many on my team and that makes me uneasy like I don't belong just yet. I know it takes time to get acquainted with everyone and losing only makes relationships worse so I am hopeful for the future.

Going forward, I have a lot of work to do to get myself to a pro level but I look forward to it. I know that I will not likely win rookie of the year or even be in the running for it and I am ok with that. My plan is to carve out a good career as a member of the Seattle Bears and win multiple championships for this city. I hope to endear myself to fans, management and teammates alike with my work ethic and throwback style of play. My agent put me into contact with several of his former players in Asher Donovan and Otto Axelsson who both laced up for the Bears and they gave me the lowdown on what it means to be a Bear. I know I am up for that challenge and I look very forward to the future!

• 1 month later...

Review: I really like the tone of your writing, your player's character really shined through! I think the media spot could maybe us a title or an image to help give it a bit of context, but overall you did a really good job with this. Well done!