Scott Greene Biography [2/2]

Scott Greene shook Richmond with his skills - now, he looks to start his legacy

By Billy Maltball

(From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, May 16th 2019)

The house is a single story gray ranch house with a red door. The kind of house you get all too used to seeing in the suburbs. Wooden front deck, a wooden swing surrounded by wind chimes, and a few mint bushes under the front windows providing a sweet scent on this warm sunny day. This is the house that Scott Greene, star player of the Richmond Dragons ice hockey team, was raised in, and where he chose to meet us. He had moved back home to Mechanicsville after college to be with his mother. His father, Doug, passed away last July. “It’s nice having him back home, but I don’t want him worrying about me!” said Lucy, Greene’s mother. “I’m not going anywhere!” “It’s not you I’m worried about, mom! I’m going to have to move to another city if I get drafted, and that city might not be close by at all” said Scott.

O_VuLGqySopMWwTWLLx-g03C6OXt_jXJFXT1AX1fvZL7oqYpkxU2yDEN1pbv7Fig1wSbeMUe7YO6uTEw64yE0Gm1qCtCkESbBeCkzDDxOpM1V9r_pgkPLpFNMjweH4R1gy-woVmL

Scott Greene, 2016

Greene was drafted by the Mississauga Hounds following this first interview we had with him, and it’s easy to see why. A standout star while playing center for the Dragons, he led the team to win the East Coast Championship for the 2018-2019 season. Richmond, Virginia isn’t exactly what most people would think of as a hockey city anymore, but Greene has been in love with it ever since his childhood, and eventually landed a spot on the Dragons. Greene was a valuable scorer for the team with 28 goals and 40 points in his last season with the team. He is confident that he would be a valuable addition to any team that would draft him. “I’ve been playing the game my whole life, and it’s always been my dream to play on a professional team! I know my dad would be proud of what I’ve accomplished, but I don’t want to settle. I want to play in the VHL!”

Born in the Old Dominion

Scott Allen Green was born on June 16th, 1996 in Richmond, Virginia, to Lucy and Douglas Greene. Scott’s father was an insurance salesman and his mother worked in a law office. Hockey was not originally a part of his upbringing; his parents were more fans of football than hockey, despite Scott’s father playing hockey locally when he was younger. His upbringing was pretty typical, but his family was anything but. His parents had him when they were fairly young, and still wanted to pursue their dreams. His parents started filming a local television show, and used Scott as one of the actors. Even to this day, he is never nervous around a camera. His love for hockey started when the family took young Scott to see a Richmond Dragons game. Scott was taken with the sport and soon started to view the sport with his father any chance that he got. As he grew older, Scott started bugging his parents to let him play. When it wasn’t time for school, Scott would head down to the local ice rink to practice his skating. He made a few friends in school and at the rink, and soon started competing with his own friends in self-made teams. His parents were very patient and glad that their son had discovered a passion. In addition to this, he started learning guitar with his father. “My father always loved music,” says Greene. “Some of his favorites to play were John Prine and Bob Dylan tunes. He would sing them to me as I tried to go to sleep when I was younger. Now that he’s gone, I’m going to have to take care of his guitar!” Greene would play guitar with some of his friends from school and still continues to do so to this day.

Greene kept this up through middle school. It was there that he first thought about taking his passion seriously. His coach at the time, Thomas Halsey, encouraged him to study and play to the highest level that he could. Scott worked harder and harder, but the teams he was on couldn’t quite get to the level that he wanted. After moving on to high school, Greene experienced his first taste of victory. His team made it all the way to the local finals and won. However, his grades started to slip as a result of his devotion to the sport, and had to sit out the next year to focus on his school work because he didn’t meet the minimum academic requirements. He has nothing but endless troubles with science and math, which he found boring. He loved his toy though, and it was during this time that he started to read up more on the sport’s history and philosophies of some of its greatest players, something that he still does to this day. After buckling down and getting good grades in his classes again, Greene was able to rejoin and secure a spot on the high school’s team in his Senior year. The team was able to win the championship again, and Scott started to set his sights on college.

College Days

Greene enrolled in Virginia Commonwealth University with the intent to study philosophy. He was a big fan of the teachings of Socrates, Lao-tzu, and the Buddha and wanted to learn more about the world of philosophy so he could make the world a better place through knowledge. He also had his audition and secured a spot on the Richmond Dragons at this time. While studying in school, Greene tried hard not to fall back into his old lazy ways. It wasn’t easy; he made friends quickly and went to many parties and events with his friends. It was when he almost got killed jumping out of the way of a train on one particularly drunken night that he decided to shape up. He got back in the gym and really focused on his play. He studied hard in his courses and finally graduated in 2017 with a Bachelor's Degree in Philosophy. All was not well at home, however. His father had been diagnosed with lung cancer, and it wasn’t looking too good for him. “My father was always a smoker, and I figured it would catch up with him one day” says Greene. “He’s always been my reason for tempering my addictions. I’m scared that I could just as easily get addicted to alcohol or cigarettes as well. It’s something I don’t want to risk.” Greene’s father passed away this past July, which prompted him to move back in with his mother for a time to help her adjust. Beginning in May of 2019, however, Scott was drafted to the Mississauga Hounds and has had to live up there.

What Comes Next?

“What do I want to do in the league? Well, I have a lot of motivation to try and succeed. I want to make my father and mother proud,” says Greene. Greene wears his father’s old number, 42, in his memory. The first season ever for the Mississauga Hounds has been a little tougher for Greene, but he’s optimistic. “I’m looking forward to growing into a top player for the team! The guys are all fantastic, except for when Hulk Hogan is trying to leg drop on me! But they’ve actually taught me a lot and I hope I can continue to contribute for them. The VHLM is a completely different animal from playing for the Richmond Dragons, but I know I’m going to make an impact!” Greene has contributed a number of goals and scored a few points here in his first season. Only time will tell how much of an impact the Richmond native will have.

Review: Great Bio. Gives a lot of detail on Scott's journey to the VHL. Quotes are always great in a Biography and it flowed well with the story. I would add a few more pictures and maybe add some spacing in the paragraphs so that it doesn't look like just one big sentence. Other then that Great Job!