Peace seeking more from himself. [1/2]

Peace

DAVOS, SWITZERLAND — Rylan Peace’s point scoring streak has ended, the young developing centre had a respectable nine game point streak before it was snapped recently after a defeat that left him off the scoreboard and wishing for more; HC Davos Dynamo have been lacklustre if late but the lines have remained consistent, and while the top line hasn’t been producing, Peace and his linemates have been converting on their limited chances - typically on the power play - but Peace is seeking more from himself. 

Peace’s goalscoring has seemed to disappear, and despite weaker hands than his linemates, the former fifty goal potter has seen a drastic increase in the amount of apples in his basket. Although Peace isn’t putting up the goals like he desires, he’s still climbed to the top of Davos’ scoring chart thanks to his impressive streak... but the centre isn’t happy. 

“I’m paid to score game winners,” Peace said during our phone interview. “My role with Davos was supposed to represent a constant triple debit performer, and I’m on pace for what - something around eighty points - and it’s not good enough for me. I need to change and I’m focusing on refining my hands and defensive play right now.”

“In a perfect world I’d have the same amount of goals as assists,” Peace admitted. In the VHLM he was a huge asset for Saskatoon’s championship by doing exactly that, followed by his publicly depressing rookie season with near equal totals in both categories... and then his breakout season was a shiny repeat of the feat he accomplished in Saskatoon minus the hardware. “But we don’t live in a perfect world, and I know I need to adapt to the changing environment around both myself and the teams locker room presence.”

Peace knows that if he’s going to be the playmaker, he has to improve at his role, even if we’ve established it’s not preferable. “I don’t imagine Dog Turd, I mean Dahlberg, wanted to play that role last season but he did and we both achieved amazing success. Maybe I can become the playmaker Dragomir and Crimson need to establish absolute dominance over other teams. You never know, but I understand it’s typically the positional requirements of a centre.”

We ended our conversation noting that - according to advanced stats - his current line hasn’t been as effective as they’ve seemed. Most of the production is either on the power play or when other players are on the ice. Thanks to the advanced stats privately tracked by the club, lead by one of the clubs defenders, we know that there are improvements to be made. 

“Like all teams we try to contain our frustration when the play isn’t going on our favour,” a club representative noted. “We’re obviously still trying to find some chemistry when everyone anticipated Davos to be at the top of the league. Right now there are too many chefs in the kitchen, and that’s a good problem to have when the restaurant gets busy, you know?”

Fortuntely the club seems to be in high spirits after defeating the Titans recently. There is hope, and once the playoffs begin l, it’s a whole new season with a whole new meaning. 

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Peace seeking more from himself. [1/2]