Micheal Johnson's Training Journal #1 [1/2]

fonziGG

Saturday, May 25th, at 8 AM I decided to get the the gym before practice starts. We’ve been doing well recently and I intend to keep my end of the bargain up. I’ve been speaking to Shad Forsythe, a well renowned fitness expert in the sport of soccer as he is currently the  head of athletic performance enhancement for Arsenal Football Club.  I’ve been doing a new bodybuilding program so I can get my size up to par compared to the rest of the goalies in the league. This is my first men’s league and man the adjustment has been humongous. The previous leagues I’ve played in have never been this demanding, physical and hardworking and yet I’m addicted to it. I think I’m starting to fall in love with the hard work associated with this league.

I have been following Shad’s advice since preseason with Halifax. He’s pushed me towards adding yoga to my regimen as that helps with my flexibility. It’s also helped with preventing injury and keeping me durable throughout the season. It’s been a tough season battling with Thorvald for the starting spot. Shad also pushed me to become a vegan as that has given me more energy to train. Veganism is hard, definitely something I’ll keep up through the season but the second offseason comes around, I’m making myself a steak. Just saying. I’m sick of looking at lentils and edamame. Yuck. Granted I’m willing to eat this nasty stuff if it helps me push forward and makes me the number 1. All I have in my mind right now is to be the best, to take my chances and help the team and Shad has been incredible in that by pushing me out of my comfort zone. It’s paid off, really.

I’ve been doing a 3x5 split of Bent Over Rows, Bench Press and Squats on one day. 3x5 on the other as well with Chin ups, Overhead Press and Deadlifts. On top of this I run a circuit every morning mostly comprised of bodyweight exercises. 20 squats, 10 pushups, 20 lunges (10 per leg), 20 dumbbell rows, 15 second plank and 20 jumping jacks. I do this 3 times every single morning and night, without fail. One thing is for certain is that I’m taking my magnesium every night!

This entire regimen has given me confidence I can succeed this year. I just need to work on my mental game. If I can focus on not letting myself over think then I can be successful. There are some mental exercises I need to work on in order to push past these inconsistencies. I’ve been speaking with the GM and he’s been offering me a lot of advice on how to get past these issues. Gladly, I think I’m taking the right approach towards improving, mentally.

With the draft coming up, I haven’t been looking at the draft rankings but from what I’ve heard from teammates and my agent, that I’ll most likely be going late in the draft, that has given me a fire under my belly to prove my worth. Just wait.

Review:

An Arsenal fan I take it? Sorry about the midweek Final, mate. I've been a Liverpool supporter for almost 30 years, so my disappointment is yet to come (just one more sleep!!). The bodybuilding program seems solid, as long as there are other auxiliary exercises the isolate some of the smaller muscle group. Love that squats and deadlifts are separated in different workouts. BULK UP! 

This piece gets away without a title or pictures because it's a journal entry, I like it when spots are written from the players' perspectives, and here's a classic example of why! Keep up the great work @fonziGG :cheers:

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Review:

An Arsenal fan I take it? Sorry about the midweek Final, mate. I've been a Liverpool supporter for almost 30 years, so my disappointment is yet to come (just one more sleep!!). The bodybuilding program seems solid, as long as there are other auxiliary exercises the isolate some of the smaller muscle group. Love that squats and deadlifts are separated in different workouts. BULK UP! 

This piece gets away without a title or pictures because it's a journal entry, I like it when spots are written from the players' perspectives, and here's a classic example of why! Keep up the great work @fonziGG :cheers:

@Phil I wish you the best of luck tomorrow to get one over Spurs, genuinely. Arsenal are in transition anyways, been an supporter for 24 years. Yes of course, I intend to post an intense gym program down the line that Michael uses on a weekly basis. Would love to hear your thoughts on that when I post!

Thank you Phil for your feedback!

Edited by fonziGG

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Micheal Johnson's Training Journal #1 [1/2]