Sportsman Abroad – Berocka Sundqvist [1/2]

Berocka

Sportsman Abroad – Berocka Sundqvist

By Steven Brockman

Today on Sportsman Abroad we have young gun in the VHLM Berocka Sundqvist. This is his starting year in the VHLM and one of only a handful of Australians competing in the prestigious Ice Hockey league.

SB:         Hi Berocka good to see you, you have been making some waves of recent in the VHLM. Tell us did you expect this much success?

BS:          Thank you for having me Steven big fan of your work. No, to be honest I can’t say I would have this much success. I was just happy playing on such a big stage and trying to learn as much as I could from the people around me.

SB:         Lets talk about your game against Las Vegas, I think you know the one I am talking about. You scored a Hat trick in the 1st period alone that must have been a good feeling

BS:         Yeah it was great, I owe thanks to Dan Gles, he set up every one of my goals and I think we are really starting to work well together. Also, Danny DeYeeto and Jacob Rogers helped, I know I got the goals, but I think they did all the hard work.

SB:          Currently Mississauga is sitting in 8th place in the VHLM near to the halfway point, what’s the thoughts in the locker room around this?

BS:          We aren’t worried, we had a small little losing streak, but we are coming back now. We recently beat Ottawa and it shows that we have the team that can beat anyone in this league. I know personally my skills are improving the more I play in the league and I know the team is just getting better and better. I think by the time we get to playoffs we will be a team not to be taken lightly.

SB:          Interesting, so you think that Mississauga still has a chance to go deep into the playoffs?

BS:          It is a long season, and anything can happen, but I think that come the end of the season we won’t be sitting in 8th place anymore.

SB:          So recently the teams for the S66 WJC were announced and you were no where to be seen on Team World, how does that make you feel?

BS:          It doesn’t bother me, I am only new to the league and I know that there are a lot of good players out there, I have only played 36 games so far, so it is acceptable that the GM’s don’t know my true potential. Nevertheless, I will be supporting Team World and fellow teammate Dan Gles who got selected. Just know next season expect me to be named in the squad.

SB:          Recently a news article was released about sleepers in the S67 Class and you were named, how does this make you feel and why do you think you were selected.

BS:          It’s a good feeling for someone outside of the club to recognise that you have potential in the league. The article said something along the lines of my background of AFL made me stand out and I think it is something that no one else has. It is an extremely different game and there aren’t many others like it. I think it gives me a bit of an edge by helping my strength and agility.

SB:          Yes, I think that no one outside of Australians really understand the level of athleticism needed to succeed at the sport. So, it’s about time to wrap up I just have one final question, what do you think of your locker room, how have your teammates and support staff been.

BS:          I could not be happier, they are a great bunch of Guys and Jerry Garcia has been a great GM. Everyone wants the same thing and that is for the team to be as successful as possible.

SB:          Well thank you Berocka for coming in today and best of luck with the rest of the season, do you have any final words.

BS:          Thank you for having me and yes, I just wanted to say a big Hello to everyone back in Australia.

Berocka shows a lot of promise, if you want you can follow him and his team Mississauga Hounds in the VHLM. Please join me again next week when I interview Steve Smith and his return to the Australian Cricket Team.

[Word Count 731]

Review:

Nice interview of the Aussie VHLMer. It like these spots because it provides more than just analysis of the players skills/performance/build, but we get a more complete sense of the background of the player. I would have spruced up the presentation a little bit more by differentiating the interviewer and the interviewee text, either using different colours or italics/non-italics. It would have been easier on the eye. Overall a triumph of a spot and I will be waiting to read more! Well done @berocka :cheers:

• DollarAndADream changed the title to Sportsman Abroad – Berocka Sundqvist [1/2]