Claimed:The Bear Hunter

Jamie

_S5C8912.jpg

RIGA, Latvia - Just over half way through the season and there's lots of developments around the league. Looking at Riga alone there's a ton of excitement from the fans and team and maybe some surprise to the rest. However there's still some frustration for young captain Brennan McQueen. The offense still isn't coming consistently for the power forward even though he feels he has improved his game. 

Although there's a lot of games where the offense just isn't clicking, against the struggling Seattle Bears has been a bright spot. So far the Reign have played five games against the Bears and are 3-1-1 against them which is good for the young team. McQueen has been on fire especially in three of those five games. He's had 1 goal, 2 assists in a 4-2 win then 3 goals, 1 assist in a 6-5 shootout loss and finally another 1 goal, 2 assists in the most recent 3-1 win. Totaling 5 goals and 5 assists for 10 points in five games, this has been the best offense against any team in the league for McQueen.

If you remember correctly, Seattle was actually the team that drafted Brennan 7th overall in S35 but gave up on him just the off-season later where he was sent to the Reign before he even played a game for the Bears. Reporters asked if this is the reason that he's been so motivated against Seattle:

"No. I don't think that's what it is as I'm way past that point, it was a long time ago. The only thing I can explain why my offense is better against the Bears is that since I was a little lad me and my poppa used to have a few pints and go bear hunting in the UK. We never actually got one but it was always a great bonding experience and that's all I can really say. I kind of wish the Bears were in my conference so I could have games like that more often!"

If McQueen can somehow translate how he plays against the Bears to every other team in the league he will become a huge offensive threat. Add that with his two-way game and he will be one of the better all-around players in the league which will only benefit him and his team. Currently sitting at just under a point per game with 39 points in 40 games he still has a pretty good chance to finish not only above his last season total but at a point per game. He has been known for finishing the season stronger than the start of it so there is upside.

Even more exciting is that Riga is currently in a playoff spot much earlier than expected in their rebuild and if they can hold there it will be interesting to see how the young team will perform led by the inexperienced captain. There's also the chance that Riga could improve their team at deadline and surprise even more with an actual playoff run in the weak European Conference. Keep your head up for the deadline next week and the playoffs which are coming quick!

Guest Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3

528 words. Not a bad article focusing around the success that McQueen has had against the Seattle Bears. A pretty good length for a topic of this type.

Grammar: 1.5/2

A few too many for the word count.

there's lots = there's a lot

and maybe some surprise to the rest = and maybe some surprises for the rest.

clicking, against = clicking, but against

has been = there has been

, 2 assists =, and 2 assists

win then = win and then

point, it = point; it

league he = league, he

him and his team = he and his team

games he = games, he

Appearance: 1/1

Center alignment, nice font and a big bear picture.

Overall: 5.5/6

Content: 3/3 - I remember your slow start on the Lynx and I think as of this grade you're above a point per game, so you're right that McQueen seems to start off slow and pick up the pace later. It gives me a chuckle to see the individual success you have against the Bears considering that whole trade thing, but I'm pretty sure that's all water under the bridge at this point. 

Grammar: 1.5/2 - Don't think I found any more.

Appearance: 1/1 - I like the font.

Overall: 5.5/6

FINAL: 6/6