Ranking the no longer existing franchises in Season 1.

NotAVHLM-GM

Ranking the no longer existing Season 1 franchises

A theme week about history, it’s like we’re in school all over again. I had no real idea what to write about so I decided to do a media spot with rankings about the teams that no longer exists. These rankings will be done purely on speculation on how I feel about the name and locations of the franchises and hold no real value based on their performance or the performance of the teams they relocated to. Since the Toronto Legion and Calgary Wranglers still exist, we have six franchises left to rank.

6. Hamilton Canucks

Naming a franchise after a NHL franchise always seems a little boring to me, of course it’s a different city, but I don’t like teams that are using a similar name. It’s the biggest hockey league in the world already, so I prefer to re-use names of smaller teams that are less known worldwide. Due to this I place the Canucks at the bottom of my list at 6 (but would have been 8 if Calgary and Toronto also participated)

5. Helsinki Frostbite

I just don’t get the name if the players are the Frostbites, does that mean their hands and all are frozen? Wear a glove damnit and this would not happen. I just don’t see this as a good name for a team.

4. Vasteras IK

Vasteras as a team is fine, but I just wish they did something else then ‘IK’. Atleast take a full name when your naming the franchise. I really don’t like the name and I’m glad they changed it later on. So far we don’t really have teams yet that I liked name wise, so hopefully the top 3 will be a bit better.

3. Seattle Everblades

I know this name originates from the Everglades in Florida and I find it a nice pun to make it more hockey related as Blades. I’m not sure if Seattle has swamps and crocodiles really, but I do find this a fun name and would have preferred this over the Bears. This was the first name on the list that I actually could appreciate

2. Stockholm Thunder

The Thunder is a name I always like, but mostly due to Cars. I always loved the joke Lightning McQueen made by naming Chick Hicks ‘Thunder’, as Thunder always comes after lightning. Now I know this has nothing to do with the franchise, but Thunder always has a night ring to it as a name for a franchise.

1.      Amstel Tigers

The number one on my list will be the Amstel Tigers. This should come as no surprise as I’m from the Netherlands myself and this used to be a Dutch hockey team. I actually met the actual tiger mascot once in their rink. So how could I not select them as the best no longer existing S1 franchise.

So there we have the ranks , three of the names I liked and three others I disliked. Would love to hear how others feel about the names and what their choices would be.

7 minutes ago, Beketov said:

Amstel Tijgers*

Yes it has a J in it as the official name. Yes it was dumb.

Okay that makes it even better, it just wasn't added on the S1 entry draft page I used for this :D 

• Commissioner
3 minutes ago, OrbitingDeath said:

Okay that makes it even better, it just wasn't added on the S1 entry draft page I used for this :D 

It was hit or miss on when people actually included the J but it was part of the official name. A lot of times it got skipped because people assumed it was a typo.