Halifax Throwback [2/2]

On 10/17/2019 at 1:03 PM, Larry Five Hole said:

S62Throwback.png

You definitely made a graphic.

The crop of the player with the memorial cup isn't great, but the strength of it is enough to get an approval from me. It definitely gets pretty rough around the trophy base, but hey, we're not all pablo picasso right? (By Crop, I mean how you layered the purple wavy line 'stock' image over top and masked out just the player himself, to give that effect).

The jersey change is very rough, but you get the premise and sort of pulled it off. The HF21 logo is wayyyy too big though, you usually want to use the CLONE TOOL in photoshop to replace the existing jersey logo with parts of the jersey material from around the logo. You don't have to clone out the whole thing, but if you do most of the edges, it allows you to just place the VHL logo on top of the 'edges cloned off' original logo, and size it appropriately.

The text is very basic, and I hate the font selection, but at least you put a drop shadow on it.  Don't be afraid to use different sized/coloured/effected fonts for the different 'text' elements on a graphic. It looks more natural than over-using the same sized font/text several times in one image.

a pp r o v al g ang   but this is not impressive in the least tbh. 

2 hours ago, gorlab said:

You definitely made a graphic.

The crop of the player with the memorial cup isn't great, but the strength of it is enough to get an approval from me. It definitely gets pretty rough around the trophy base, but hey, we're not all pablo picasso right? (By Crop, I mean how you layered the purple wavy line 'stock' image over top and masked out just the player himself, to give that effect).

The jersey change is very rough, but you get the premise and sort of pulled it off. The HF21 logo is wayyyy too big though, you usually want to use the CLONE TOOL in photoshop to replace the existing jersey logo with parts of the jersey material from around the logo. You don't have to clone out the whole thing, but if you do most of the edges, it allows you to just place the VHL logo on top of the 'edges cloned off' original logo, and size it appropriately.

The text is very basic, and I hate the font selection, but at least you put a drop shadow on it.  Don't be afraid to use different sized/coloured/effected fonts for the different 'text' elements on a graphic. It looks more natural than over-using the same sized font/text several times in one image.

a pp r o v al g ang   but this is not impressive in the least tbh. 

Agreed! I'm not overly happy with the final result, but I also just downloaded gimp and started doing image edits specifically for the VHL, so it's why I allow myself to post such rough trash ?

The logo actually was really big on the player originally, I just resized the Hali logo until it was around the same size, and then just cloned out the edges that we're sticking out from the old logo. But I also thought it looked awkwardly big to be fair, so I probably could have just cloned out the whole logo which would allow me to make the Hali one smaller.

Agreed as well on the text. That's something I'm really trying to learn, as right now I just basically scroll through all the fonts and pick a random one that doesn't look completely bad, and then try to work with it. 

I had some trouble with getting the crop right on the trophy, and in the end just kinda used a blur effect to "deal with" the edges. But it's definitely not a clean cut.

Thanks for the feedback! 

review: dope effort! i think this image can be improved by layering graphic elements over both the player and the background so that they blend together more. love how you're experimenting with colors tho and trying to work with shades of purple. i would have pushed the colors of the player towards either purple (to match it) or warmer colors (to contrast it) the font is way too blurry and distracting. keep at it man!