VHL Advanced Metrics in the 20s

DMaximus

I took my script that runs through the play by play to count shot attempts to create advanced metrics and ran it for every season starting with season 20. I compiled seasons 20 – 29 in a spreadsheet available here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ld2ZxzYsO9mwXXMeOjz-A7hcekoK19l773q4qD2kKDI/edit?usp=sharing.

The spreadsheet has a list of all the games played in a season with the corresponding advanced metrics for each game. Then there’s a workbook with a pivot table that shows the average for each advanced metric for each team over the entire season. I will keep adding seasons to the spreadsheet as I get time and I’ll probably end up writing more articles highlighting each decade. (Although there are some issues with some of the games or an entire season not showing up properly and some player names from older seasons found a way to break my script, so it might take some additional time to sort through that.)

Here I’ll highlight the best teams from the 20s decade in the VHL. The primary factor for determining “best” is their Fenwick %.

5) S22 – S23 Helsinki Titans – (S22 Fenwick % 58.98, S23 Fenwick % 58.96). Two great seasons for Helsinki where they made the finals each season. They won the cup in S22 and lost to Calgary in the S23 finals.

4) S20 - S22 Toronto Legion – (S22 Fenwick % of 59.92). Toronto’s best year metrics wise was S22 where they had a league best Fenwick % of 59.92. Toronto finished the regular season with a 62-8-2 record good for one of the highest point totals from a team in VHL history (126 Points). The S22 season was the end of a great run of 3 consecutive finals, which included the Legion hoisting the cup in S21. Unfortunately for them ion S22, Toronto lost to Helsinki 4 games to 2 in the Continental Cup finals.

3) S25 – S26 Vasteras Iron Eagles – (S25 Fenwick % 60.03, S26 Fenwick % 62.18). This Iron Eagles team had an exceptional S26, having the best regular season record and recording the 4th highest Fenwick % of the decade with 62.18. The used that domination to beat the New York Americans in the S26 Cup finals and take home the now defunct franchise’s final cup.

2) S25 - S28 New York Americans – (S26 Fenwick % 59.29, S28 Fenwick % 63.66). This Americans squad made 4 straight final appearances. Unfortunately for them they lost all four of them. Still this was a fantastic team with the crown jewel being the 4th season, S28, where thy had the 3rd best season of the decade with a Fenwick % of 63.66

1) S26 – S28 Seattle Bears – (S26 Fenwick % 61.49, S27 Fenwick % 64.41, S28 Fenwick % 63.68). It’s shocking to look at the unbelievable metrics this team was putting up and see that they only made the finals once in these 3 years. S27 is the best performance from any team this decade, S28 is second best and S26 is 5th best. That is an amazing run. Seattle had the best regular season record in S27 and S28. They did win the S28 cup, beating a great New York American team that was featured earlier in the list. All that added up makes the S26 – S28 Seattle Bears the best team of the decade.