Kris Rice - Final Journal entry of S68

Ricer13

Year End Entry

As the playoffs end and the Houston Bulls win the championship in S68 of the VHLM, I want to take a moment to stop and reflect on the year that was for my self in this league. The Mississauga Hounds were ousted in the first round to the Yukon Rush. It took only five games for the Rush to take out the Hounds and I want to take a quick moment to break down my playoff performance before going into my progression throughout the season.

Playoffs

Although my first experience in the playoffs was held to only five games I want to break down my performance during this short sample size. In five games against the Yukon Rush I managed to produce only two points. I contributed with 1 goal and 1 assist during the five games.  I had a plus minus of 0 so I was at least responsible in my own end of the ice. Adding into this I had 6 hits and 1 blocked shot. I wish I could have done more to help the team succeed. Getting on the score sheet a few more times or blocking a few more shots might have gone a long way in turning this season around. I will not dwell on this poor personal performance and will look forward to the season ahead.

The Season That Was

The Mississauga Hounds finished with their best regular season record during the franchises existence. They finished the season with a record of 42-24-6 placing them 4th in regular season standings. For my first season overall I would say it has been a success. I contributed in all areas of the game while consistently showing growth as the season rolled on. I played with some amazing talent this year that will go on to play in the VHL as soon as next season. Our number 1 centre Balentine Kidd had an unreal season with the hounds. He reached triple digits in points with 100 points in 72 games. He was a leader on and off the ice and I wish him the best of luck in the VHL. Winger Jerry Wang finished close behind Kidd with 95 points in 72 games but led the Hounds with 50 goals. He will do great things when he moves up to the VHL. Lastly, I will mention Brock Louth who was one of the top defenseman in the VHLM this past season. He finished with 87 points in 72 games which was tied for fifth in defenseman scoring in the VHLM. To all these guys I wish good luck as they take the next step in their careers. I am excited to continue next season with an increased with players like Patrik Tallinder and Noah Hanley. Now its time to break down a few areas of my game to show my overall progress for season 68 and how I am going to improve going into season 69. 

Offense

After 72 games this season with the Hounds, I finished with a respectful 33 points. I finished the season with 13 goals and added 20 helpers. As the season wore on I began to find my stride as a playmaker in this league. At the start of the season I had a hard time finding those passing lanes as the speed of the game was something I had to adjust to. With the help of great teammates and continually training throughout the season I saw the part of my game elevate. I am excited to see how  much more I can contribute offensively. I am going to push to have a look on the top line as someone the Hounds can rely on. A few of our top offensive guys will be moving up to the VHL this season and its now my opportunity to grab a key role on this team.

Defense

This was an area of my game that I am most proud of. I started off terribly in my own end at the start of this season. I was -10 for weeks on end to start the year but with consistent work on my defensive game I was able to turn it around. I finished the regular season with a +8 rating. In comparison to others on our roster this isn't very stand outish but it is a personal accomplishment that I am very proud of.  During the offseason this will be an area of my game that I will continue to be working on for next season.

The Little Things

Lastly, I wanted to touch on the little things outside of offense and defense that stood out in my game. I finished the season tied for second in hits with Guy Sasakamoose. We both finished with 112 hits behind only Brock Louth. My physical play was something I shied away from most of my junior career but as I have physically developed and learned to use my size against bigger strong players, the physical side of the game hasn't been so tough. I had a few block shits with a total of 16 on the season. I would like to improve on that number next season to only help with the defensive side of my game. 

It was a quick season and I learned a lot about what its like to be a part of the VHLM. The different ways to build upon myself as a player and being able to navigate through this chapter of my career with the help of my teammates. I am excited now for the chance to be drafted by a VHL team and after another season of working on my game at the VHLM level I should be ready to make the move up to the big leagues. Thank you all for tuning in this season, next season I will not be doing journal entries but I will be working on being a little more creative with the articles I write. I am looking forward to putting this first chapter of my VHL career behind me and am very excited for what the future has in store.

word count: 1017

Edited by Krice13