The Late Late Edition of the S69 Post Draft Interviews with Kris Rice

Ricer13

S69 Post Draft Interview with Kris Rice

Good evening everyone, This is David Amber from Sportsnet with you and welcome to the latest edition of our VHL post draft coverage. Dropping later than usual is an interview with a special player that was drafted in the first round during this seasons VHL draft. Kris Rice a member of the Mississauga Hounds was selected 11th overall in the 1st round of the VHL Draft. He was taken by the Calgary Wranglers in what seemed to be a surprise pick by some.

We will be discussing the season that was, how he prepared for the draft, who he thought he might have been picked by and what his plans are for the season ahead. Let me now welcome everyone to the 11th overall pick taken by the Calgary Wranglers, Kris Rice.

Rice: Thanks so much for having me guys! I am very happy to be here. I just want to fan girl for a second if you don’t mind. I have been a fan of Sportsnet for years and each time I get to come here and chat with you guys I feel like a childhood dream of mine is coming true. I watched for years as a kid as you guys interviewed my favourite players and I always imagined being on of those players being interviewed and here I am today. It’s all very Surreal.

Amber: That’s very nice of you to say and we are very excited to have you Kris! It’s always a thrill for us to have the future stars of the VHL take time to talk with us and let the fans get to know a bit about them. Let me start by asking, How are you feeling now that it’s been a couple weeks since the draft and teams are starting to settle on for the upcoming season?

Rice: You know, I still feel like this life isn’t real. The past few weeks have been an absolute whirlwind for me. Just to even be considered as a draft pick was crazy enough for me and then I was taken by a great organization and I couldn’t be happier with how things turned out for myself.

Amber: That’s exciting hear! Let’s go back to last season for a minute. How did you feel about your performance last season? Secondly, what was it that pushed you into that first round? 

Rice: First off, I felt that the season as a whole was very successful. I started off a little slower than I would have liked but things really started clicking about half way through the season. My training on and off the ice increased and I ditched some of those bad partying habits I might have had before this. What propelled me to become a first round draft pick was the amount of hard work I put into my training. I continually built on the foundation I had started last year and obviously the proof is in the pudding as the results paid off.

Amber: Absolutely, it was a very good rookie campaign for yourself in the VHLM. You had a lot of good young teammates who made the move up to the VHL this season. Did any of them leave a lasting impact to on you that you’ll carry over to this next season?

Rice: Of course! We had some amazing talent on the Hounds last season and a few of them helped me make the transition to the VHLM a lot easier. Balentine Kidd, Jerry Wang and Brock Louth were all great players and showed me how to put the work in to be a pro. I am excited to see how these guys progress now that they’ve made it up to the VHL. 

Amber: Let’s change gears a bit and focus on the draft. Now leading up to the draft did you have any indication of which teams had interest in you? We’re you surprised that Calgary was the team that ultimately took you in the end?

Rice: I did have a few teams reach out to me for some interviews prior to the draft. They were kind of who I thought might end up taking me. Calgary wasn’t actually one of those teams. I didn’t really think Calgary was an option until I read the Pre-Draft article explaining how I would be a good fit in Calgary as they lacked playmaking ability on their roster. As the draft rolled on it ended up being Calgary who took a chance on me.

Amber: I know any young player has to be excited when they hear their name called to come up on that stage and join their new team, what were your thoughts about the Wranglers being the team that drafted you? Were you happy, disappointed or relieved?

Rice: Honestly, I was more surprised than anything. Like I said they weren’t really on my radar to begin with and I didn’t think I was on theirs. However, I am completely honoured to be a part of the Wranglers organization. I truly feel once I get a chance to move up and play with the team that I’ll fit in nicely with the teams playing style.

Amber: Fantastic, before moving on I wanted to touch on your parents. They seemed pretty emotional when they finally heard your name being called. Take us through that moment and why it was so special to them.

Rice: Ya Ofcourse, it was an emotional moment for all of us. Life has been a struggle at times for our family and this is a beaming light of accomplishment for our family. It proves if you stick to it and continue to do things the right way in life that eventually it all pays off. Without the support of my parents I wouldn’t be sitting here with you today.

Amber: It was a very heartfelt moment and I am absolutely thrilled for you and your family. So the draft has come and gone, what’s your off season been like since the draft?

Rice: Work. I have been constantly training all offseason. I haven’t taken a day off as I want to prepare to be the best player I can be during the next season. The areas I have been most improving on are my defensive play and my playmaking. I can’t stress enough how much pride I take in my two way game and defence is something I will continually train. 

Amber: So with all this training in the offseason, do you expect to make it up to the big club this season?

Rice: Actually David, we have all talked it through and I am committing the season down in the VHLM with the Mississauga Hounds. I have more training and little details that still need to be worked on before I make the jump to the VHL. Ofcourse, if the time comes when I get called up I will be 100 percent ready to go. 

Amber: The Mississauga Hounds must be thrilled to have you back this season. I’ve heard rumblings that they have made you the captain for this upcoming season, is this true?

Rice: It is true, I am as absolutely humbled when voted by my peers to take on this role for this season. There were a few other guys who could have easily taken this role and as the season goes on it will be our leadership group that’ll push us to the next level.

Amber: Congratulations, it is always an honour to captain a VHLM franchise. Where do you expect the Hounds to end up this year?

Rice: Well, we have some unfinished business to take care of this season. We a franchise record season last year but were outed in the first round of the playoffs. We have lost a lot of key players who have moved up to the big leagues this offseason. I feel like the remaining guys have been training hard and are ready to take on the responsibilities left behind by those guys. Also the group of young players drafted and brought in to support our team is going to help us compete to be a contender this year. Look out for the Hounds!

Amber: This is all very exciting Kris. I am looking forward to following the season ahead for you and the Hounds. I want to congratulate you once more for being selected in this years VHL draft and I want to thank you for coming and sharing your experience with the viewers of Sportsnet. Good luck in the season ahead Kris.

Rice: Thank you, David. It’s an honour for me to be here and I’ll come back anytime! I’d just like to take a moment to thank the Calgary Wranglers for drafting me. I would also like to say thanks to the Mississauga Hounds for taking a chance on my from the beginning.

Well there you have it folks, Kris Rice selected in the season 69 VHL draft by the Calgary Wranglers. The future is bright for this young man and for the Wranglers Franchise. This is David Amber with Sportsnet One. From all of us here, have a good night.

Word Count: 1532
Edited by Krice13