Time for Flowers to Step Up

CowboyinAmerica

Image result for step up

New York -- It hasn't been the strongest season for New York, but it hasn't been a complete failure either. The team currently sits two points behind Calgary for the final playoff birth, which was New York's ultimate goal all along. Young players such as Fredrik Elmebeck and rookie Soren Jensen have been bright spots for their early play as well.

But if there's one area where New York has struggled, it's been with the top defensemen expected to lead the team - and that may have just gotten harder. Today, the New York Americans shipped off franchise defenseman Guy LeGrande to the Seattle Bears, getting back fellow defenseman Kevin Low and a third round pick. LeGrande hadn't been having the best season compared to last year, but still can be considered a top-flight talent with his skills - something that could also be said for his former linemate Lance Flowers.

Flowers told reporters shortly after the deal that he'd miss LeGrande, and he thought with some more time they'd be able to capture the magical form they had just last season. But he also added that it's a business, and what he has to do now is focus on connecting with Low and developing his offensive game to replace some of what the team's losing in LeGrande.

"If it wasn't already my time to step up, it certainly is now," Flowers said. "It's been a tough season, nobody's going to deny that. But I do have to believe that if I continue to put in the work, it'll all turn out in the end. So that's what I'm going to do, and I'm ready for this team to start winning here shortly."