New York Is Winning And I Don't Know What To Do With My Hands

CowboyinAmerica

Image result for americans win

New York City -- Need an indication how quickly things can change in the VHL? Last week, the Americans were mired in yet another slump, behind the Calgary Wranglers for the final North American playoff spot with D.C. not far behind them for fifth. This week? The Americans are now 9 points clear of D.C., 11 points clear of Calgary, and only 4 points behind third-place Toronto with 19 games left in the season.

It's all thanks to a stretch where the Americans have won eight of their last nine games, the only loss being in OT to, of all teams, last place Davos. During that stretch, New York has racked up wins against Seattle, Riga, Malmo and first place Vancouver twice. Stretching back even further, the Americans have picked up 24 of 28 possible points in the team's last 14 games.

It's one of the more incredible stretches of the season, even moreso because very few people saw it coming -- even the players on the team itself. "I thought we'd get better, but I'd be lying if I said I thought we had this run in us," said sophomore defenseman Lance Flowers. "Everything seems to be gelling at the right time, and not a moment too soon."

Still, the Americans locker room knows better than to start counting their chickens before they hatch. While New York is a better team than it's early season struggles, it likely isn't the world beaters of the past few games as well. The truth likely lies somewhere in the middle, and all it may take is one strong Calgary or D.C. run for a fun playoff race.

"Our job isn't done there's a little X by our name. And even then, the fun's just beginning," Flowers said. "We got here by not giving up. So why would we do anything different now?"