Early Standouts Of The S71 VHL Draft

Well, as the playoffs come to a close, the anticipation for the S70 VHL Draft will be ramping up. This is something I am personally looking forward to as well because I have been following the players in the draft for 9 weeks now, with my "S70 Draft Profiles" series. But once that wraps up, my focus will shift to the S71 Draft. While I haven't paid much attention to it up to this point, I have made a page for them in my TPE earning spreadsheet for prospects. 

If you click this link, it will bring you to the S70 page. There should be a S71 page that you can choose on the bottom of the screen, and that will show you all the TPE earning of the players who have earned 40 or more TPE at the time of December 31st. Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z3UmjHIkmoBNTRdw8dgQdp4kOVhVLVRgPADZOndKJUY/edit?usp=sharing

Now, let's get to some early scouting reports on some of the top prospects. I won't go too in-depth, as I'll be saving that for my S71 Draft Profiles.

Goalies

Stone Wolski - 173 TPE

Currently the top goalie in the draft, Wolski has started off his career in impressive fashion. In the playoffs, he lead Mexico City to the semi finals, putting up an .896% save percentage. He started off with a healthy 80 base TPE, and has not let that create any complacency in his work ethic. In his 3 full weeks since entering the league, he has earned 69 TPE, averaging out to 23 TPE per week.

Joakim Bruden - 111 TPE

A fellow Swedish prospect, Bruden is a first generation goalie who has been catching up to his competition remarkably quickly. Starting with just 30 base TPE, he has earned 62 TPE in his 3 full weeks since joining. In 8 regular season games, he posted a .897% save percentage with Ottawa. He is certainly someone I will have my eye on as he progresses.

Defensemen

Roque Davis - 185 TPE

Davis has had an incredible start to his career, putting up 21 points in 25 regular season games, and following it up with 9 playoff points in 10 games so far with Mississauga. The Hounds defenseman is a great two way player with a great feel for the game in all areas. In his 3 full weeks so far, he has earned an incredible 93 TPE.  He looks to be one of the top prospects in this draft without question.

Hugh Jass - 139 TPE

Jass is a very talented Canadian defenseman who plays a smooth, balanced game. Playing on a weaker Houston team, he put up over a point per game as a rookie defenseman, with 27 points in 23 games. Look for him to be an absolute force this coming season. He also earned 74 TPE in his 3 full weeks so far in his career.

Forwards

Erik Killinger - 194 TPE

The current TPE leader of the draft, Killinger has had a rather slow offensive start to his career, mostly due to a more sheltered role with Saskatoon. Even though the points haven't been coming in bunches yet, they are bound to soon, with the rates at which he is earning TPE. He has earned a staggering 97 TPE in his 3 full weeks to date, and already has 22 this week. Expect to see the winger explode in production as soon as in the finals for Saskatoon.

Kyl Oferson - 192 TPE

Oferson had an alright start to his career, with 10 goals and 14 points in his first 25 regular season games, but has absolutely reached another level in the playoffs, with 7 goals and 9 points in just 10 games. He is a sniper at heart and finds his success in scoring goals, and lots of them. This is not to the detriment of his two way game though, as he plays responsibly as well. He has a draft leading 98 TPE earned through his first 3 full weeks, and has added another 20 so far this week.

The S71 Draft looks to be a strong one, and I look forward to covering it. My Draft Profiles series will be in the VHL.com Articles section as soon as the S70 Draft concludes, and I hope a few people who read this will take the time to read them once they begin.