Claimed:Top North American Locations

Tyler

Ranking the VHL North American Cities

Before you ready this article, this is not an article about where I would prefer my player to end up but rather an article discussing the five North American locations in the VHL, and ranking them based on my own personal preference. I may like a city, but not the team and obviously vice verca. The Victory Hockey League has always had two conferences, the European and North Ameircan Conferences. They both began with four teams, before expanding to five each not too long ago. Each city of the VHL offers their own history, their own culture and their own fan base and this article serves to try and rank them. There is no scientific forumla used here, but rather my own personal, admitedly biased, rankings and reasons for liking one city above another. Without further ado, here it is, Tyler's North Ameircan Conference Rankings.

Five: Calgary, Alberta

calgary.jpg

With a population of 1,096,833 people, Calgary is the third biggest city in Canada. It is a hockey hot bed and their NHL team, the Flames, have a solid fan base despite a poor team. The Wranglers are the VHL's most storied franchise and are the team with the most history in the entire league. Their fan base is as large as any in the entire league, but the city itself leaves something to be desired. Calgary is famous globally for the stampede held anually in July, but other then that, there is not much in Calgary. They have a CFL team called the Stampeders who are usually competative, but hockey is clearly number one in the city. "Cow town" may be a hockey hot bed, but personally, it is hardly a city that a lot of young people would gravitate towards.

Four: Seattle, Washington

seattle-skyline.jpeg

North American's beautiful Pacific Northwest is home to the Seattle Bears who themselves have a storied history. Seattle has a population of 634,535 people and is one of the most popular cities in the Northwest along with Vancouver and Portland, Oregon. The Bears have always been a solid team and have a large fan base that stretches the entire west coast of North America, from California to Vancouver. The Bears are known for having a loud environment in their arena and for a ferocious style of play on the ice that has led them to be one of the leagues most consistent clubs. Due to its close proximity to the Canadian border, Seattle attracts British Columbian hockey fans to the games and as such has one of the leagues more loyal fan bases. Seattle has the Mariners in baseball as well as the Superbowl Champion Seahawks, who are known for the crazy atmosphere at home games. Seattle may not seem it, but with a very young population and a very liberal attitude about things, they are quickly becoming a sports town, and The Bears stand to benefit from this.

Three: Quebec, Quebec

quebec.jpg

Most veteran VHL users know how much I love all things Quebec. It is the most unique area of North America and its capital is a city that lives and breathes hockey. When the Nordiques were taken from them at the end of the 1994-1995 season, the people of Quebec were left without pro hockey until the Meute came in to existence. Quebec City has a smaller population than any other in the North American conference with just 516,622 but it may have the craziest fans in the entire league. Everyone knows the cultural importance hockey has in Quebec, and it is no different with the Meute. In a short period of time, they went from expansion team to cup champs as they took home the cup in Season 35. The celebration of this acheivment was legendary with street parties all throughout the downtown area and in to Old Quebec. Quebec City is as beautiful as it is in love with hockey, and with a powerful night life, it is a city any young hockey player would love to play in.

Two: Toronto, Ontario

toronto.jpg

Toronto is among the most populous cities in all of North America with a population of 2,615,060 in the city itself, and over 5 and a half million living in the metro area. Toronto is home to the Leafs in the NHL, Blue Jays in the MLB and the Raptors in the NBA, so the Legion are left to compete, but they do as well as any team in the league. The Legion have not won a title since Season 29, but the fans remain loayl, and with the team in the finals this season, they hope for a return to glory in Ontario's capital. With famous fans like Drake, Rob Ford and Justin Bieber (all Toronto natives), the Legion are represented better than any team in the VHL in popular culture. The players are treated like celebreties in the town and often have to deal with paparazzi, but the people of Toronto have the utmost respect for the players and management that is unheard of in pro sports. Toronto is Canada's biggest city and has one of the leagues wealthiest fan bases, and the fans spend money on murchandise like no other. The Legion, despite not having won the cup since Season 29, still sell the most murchandise in the entire league.

One: New York, New York

new_york_city.png

With a population of 19,949,502 people, New York City has the largest population in the entire United States. The city is home to the Islanders and Rangers in the NHL, the Yankees and Mets in the MLB and the Jets and Giants in the NFL as well as the Knicks in the NBA and of course, the Nets in the NBA as well. The Americans have a ton of competition, but with a population as big as New York's, this doesn't effect them too much and MSG is sold out on a regular basis for their games. The city itself is obviously vibrant and there is always something happening. It is rare that you can be bored living in New York City, and it is even  more like this as an athlete. New York is second to only Los Angeles in terms of pure popular cultural power and the city is always alive at all times of the day. The Americans are not huge in the city, but this is almost a positive to some players in that they are not the same level of stars the Yankees players would be, or to the level even that the Rangers or Knicks players would be. New York City is the number one city to live in of all the North Ameircan VHL cities due to its pure cultural power and importance.

Edited by Kendrick

Guest Svoboda_3

I was just joking around. Calgary is lame. 

The city is boring as heck, there's not much to do.

It is what you make of it. It is as boring or as exciting as you want it to be. I've always found things to do in Calgary when visiting.

Guest Svoboda_3

Content: 3/3

1,123 words. I loved the article and while the assessment of Calgary may not be one I agree with, the MS as a whole was well done (aside from grammar).

Grammar: 1/2

Too many spelling mistakes.

ready this article = read this article

Ameircan = American (x3)

forumla = formula

admitedly = admittedly

stampede = Stampede (capitalize events)

anually = annually

then = than

competative = competitive

leagues = league's

The = the

conference = Conference

acheivment = achievement

loayl = loyal

celebreties = celebrities

murchandise = merchandise (x2)

effect = affect

even  more = even more (spacing)

Appearance: 1/1

Awesome pictures, center alignment, subtle color.

Overall: 5/6

• Senior Admin

Content: 3/3

I really liked the concept of this article, and I look forward to reading next weeks issue. Personally, I would have to put Toronto at number one. Toronto is not only one of the most beautiful cities in North America, but it's also one of the safest. I've been to all 3 Canadian cities on the list, but neither of the American ones. I think Seattle would be a nice city to visit, but I really have no interest in going to New York. Also, the 19 million is actually the population New York state, New York city is more like 8.5 million. 

Grammar: 1/2

Didn't find anything more than Slobo, but I have to agree with him that there were too many mistakes here. 

Appearance: 1/1

Looks good to me.

Overall: 5/6

FINAL: 5/6

Edited by Draper