Final Thoughts On The S70 Draft

Welcome, everyone! With the draft now past us, and my first S71 Draft Profiles already done, it's time that I reflect on this past season, and most importantly, the draft. I will be looking at who I think could be steals at their positions, and some of the more interesting moments of the draft. After discussing the draft, I'll move on to talk about how great this experience has been, with the draft profiles series and its progression.

Anyways, let's move on to my steals; these aren't the players who I think will become the best of the bunch, but who I think were most valuable relative to the slot they were selected.

Legion.png

After earning steadily for 12 weeks, one poorly timed week of inactivity may have scared some GMs away from Cheezy, but he has already proven said week was a fluke with an impressive 23 TPE so far this week. Although he is a welfare player, he has proven to be extremely reliable in earning TPE, and while he doesn't have superstar potential, I see his chances of making the VHL as high. To me, this was a good value pick from Toronto that gives them more organizational depth and a player they can count on to eventually find a role on their team.

Titans.png
Since being drafted, Bennett has already earned 32 TPE. He has consistently put up around 10 to 12 TPE per week prior to the draft, falling behind in total TPE solely because of his late entry into the league. When looking back on this draft, we may be praising Helsinki for making this pick at 17, since his earning rate is up there with some of the first round talent. I think he has a lot of potential, and can't wait to see if he can become one of the best players to come out of this draft.

HC_Dynamo.png
This one was very interesting to me. In my opinion, Kulikovich was just flat out better than some of the names ahead of him. While he did go inactive for two weeks, he did update with 6 TPE prior to the draft. There were entirely inactive players with less TPE that went above him, and that is what makes it puzzling to me why he wasn't an early or even mid third round pick. This week, he has 4 TPE so far as well. I don't necessarily see star potential, but I do think this was a high quality pick for 35th overall.

Interesting Moments of The Draft
1. Encarnacion picked #1
A well-deserved title, Edwin THE Encarnacion was crowned the first overall pick of the draft. Shoutout goes to Lahtinen as well for being close behind.

2. Risteneen picked #6
The first first-gen player to be picked, Risteneen was chosen sixth overall to New York

3. Davos BPA's
After acquiring Magnum, Hextall and Wolfe through BPA, all three were dealt to Toronto yesterday. 

4. Gutzwiler twins united
Selected 16th and 18th overall, Gabriel and Leon Gutzwiler are sure to be happy with landing on the same team. It will be interesting to see each of their progression for New York.

My Thoughts
Overall, I'm extremely happy with the way this whole season turned out, covering the draft. I started this series as something I thought would be cool for a quick 2 TPE every week, and it has turned into somewhat of my identity in the league. It's been fun making the articles, keeping everything updated, and making improvements to the series along the way.
The reception of the draft profiles series has been great, and I've gotten so much support from plenty of members with and without draft eligible players. I'd like to thank everyone who's supported it, because it's helped turn point tasks into point activities for me, and now I'm always excited to work on my next article.

Now, it's time I fully shift my focus onto S71 prospects. I wish all of the S70 draftees luck, and I'll have an article around the trade deadline next season with an update on all of their progress to that point. Stay active, and have fun!