The Next HOF Defensemen?

CowboyinAmerica

Image result for defenseman

There’s an interesting trend with Hall of Famers that I’m not sure many people have noticed - defensemen are getting shut out. In the past ten Hall of Fame classes, just two defensemen, Mats Johnsson and Ay Ay Ron, have made it in. That’s compared to three goalies, four wingers, and four centers over that same time span. Not a single defenseman created after the S57 draft class has made it in yet, and the topper, just three defensemen created after S50 (Ron, Johnsson and Fabio Jokinen) have made the HOF.

It’s a dry spell, but yet, there are some potential entrants still playing in the VHL. Here’s a quick peek at who I think might have a reasonable chance if being evaluated today.

S62 Maxim Kovalchuk - Retired

He would have had a strong case anyway, given his five trophies that present an all-around game (one Labatte, one Valiq, two Wylde, and a Beketov for most assists). What will likely put him over the top, though, is the Bears back-to-back titles in his final two seasons, even after a switch to the forward spot. The S68 playoffs was definitely his stronger output, with 17 points in 14 games to help lead the Bears to a title, but both taken in tandem paint the portrait of a player who was able to be on top his entire career and across positions. I wouldn’t be surprised to him pick up HOF votes this very next offseason and be remembered primarily as a defenseman.

S65 Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen - Moscow Menace

The winner of the past two Labattes is an easy mention for this honor, especially given his offensive prowess and the possibility of passing 80 points for the third straight season. He may not have the hit totals of other defensemen, but he’s done just about everything else perfectly, including extremely high plus/minus totals in the past two seasons. Having both the offensive Valiq (he should win again this season) and defensive Wylde trophies helps his case as well, showing that he’s a well-rounded player. Werbenjagermanjensen also has the issue of not having a Cup quite yet, but he has a good chance this year with Moscow, plus two more seasons to play with.

S63 Joseph McWolf - New York Americans

McWolf should have an interesting case. The counting stats are certainly there - more than 60 points, 200 hits and 100 SBs every season of his career, five straight (potentially six) playoff appearances, often the top defender on Cup-contending teams. But most HOF defensemen have one of two things to fall back on: Cups, or lots of individual trophies. McWolf has a few of the latter, as his two Labattes and a Valiq have him at least on par with Johnsson. But having no title hurts, and he’ll need a miracle Americans run to break that in his final season.

S62 Shawn Glade - Retired

Glade presents an intriguing opposite case - he never really had the stats, falling just short of top defenseman trophies despite three straight seasons above 70 points (S65-S67) due to the Kovulchuks and McWolfs of the world. But he had the championship pedigree - three titles with three teams, in fact, something that has rarely been done in VHL history. He was a key contributor on all of those teams as well. Ultimately, I don’t think he’ll have the counting stats by only playing six seasons, but think he’s worth a mention given the playoff prowess.

5 minutes ago, CowboyinAmerica said:

I think so, especially with the last two Cups. I do wish there were more HOF defensemen in general though.

I do think McWolf and Smitty make it too. Smitty as a first ballot probably. McWolf after a season or two. That could be 3 in the next 5 inductions if I'm right.