Could I Make the HoF As a Builder?

Corco

Making my HoF Builder article awhile ago got me thinking; I certainly remember holding many of the positions that other builders have had, so let's go over what a hypothetical campaign to get @Corco into the HoF as a builder would look like.

The Pros

League Jobs/Positions Held: I've been around on the VHL since S28, with some spots of inactivity since then (S44-54, S57-S68), but I'd say that 21 inactive seasons out of the last 42 isn't the worst thing in the world. I've certainly done my fair share of league jobs in that time, those jobs being: VHL GM, VHLM GM, VHLM Commish, Updater, WJC Commish, Statistician, & Updater. If I was ever inducted, this would put me in a tie for 2nd-all time among builders in terms of League Job quantity (you can view the spreadsheet I used HERE, Victor has his own slightly different spreadsheet HERE). Perhaps my current work cultivating and improving our historical statkeeping will give me a bump here.

VHLM Commissioner/Creating the WJC: When I was a VHLM Commissioner my main goal was to make sure activity was promoted above all else, and I did my best to institute/enforce rules and policies that would do just that. But that wasn't enough, so I asked a bunch of new members what would help make them more active. The most numerous response was to be featured in more games/tournaments, and thus, the WJC was born. I created everything from scratch for the 1st WJC in S55, and I would be lying if I said it didn't contribute to the burnout I would experience a few seasons later; it was worth it in the end though, as I was very happy to see how popular it had become when I returned in S69.

The Cons

Vasteras: This will likely be the biggest reason I wouldn't be voted in as a builder; my time as Vasteras GM was largely successful, and negatively damaged my reputation throughout the league. Most of the Builders in the HoF that have been GMs have been successful, hence their induction. Statistically, my tenure wasn't horrible; of all VHL General Managers with at least 300 games as GM, I rank 21st in PTS, ahead of Builder HoFs such as David Knight, Vince Wong (STZ), Victor, Jardy, Noah Lefevre, Jim Gow, and others. When you calculate Total Points per # of seasons GM'd, I'm above builders like Sandro, Tyler, Frank, Bushito, and Mike Szatkowski as well; these stats don't necessarily make you a good GM though, and I good GM I was not. I tried my best, but the results just never came.

VHL Players in the Hall of Fame: There are only 6 Builders in the Hall of Fame who have never had a player make the Hall of Fame: PensFan101, Sandro, Diamond_ace, Devise, flyersfan, and eaglesfan. You could make the case that the latter 4's achievements speak for themselves, but I'm not exactly sure the same could be said for Sandro/PensFan (no offense to either of them, as I might just be ignorant since I wasn't around for their peak activity levels). All of those members have had a plethora of great players, but none great enough to make it into the Hall; that may change soon though, as @flyersfan1453's Smitty Werbenjagermanjensen has a good chance of making it. 

I have only ever really been devoted to a player for their full 8 seasons with one of my players, Eggly Bagelface, and while he was one of the leagues best goalies during his prime, the beginning of his career was too poor to give him any HoF consideration; my best chance if I stuck around for all 8 seasons was probably with Rudolph Schmeckeldorf, who was a big part of the Titans dynasty in the S50s.

Edited by Corco