My Random VHL Thoughts - S71 - Part 2

• So, in the past couple of weeks, I have been touting the play of both Pavlov and Lagesson in my posts in game threads and even these weekly fan590s. It was early in the season, but Werbenjagermanjensen wasn't performing well, and my attributes are lower than last season, so I thought I was on the downward slope. However, that is no longer the case. Smitty is number 1 in assists and points by a defensemen and is so far in contention for his 4th consecutive Labatte Trophy.
  • Speaking of a possible 4th consecutive Labatte Trophy, IF that happens, my limited knowledge would have to put Werbenjagermanjensen down as one of the best defensemen ever. The overall counting stats won't be there compared to some of those currently enshrined in the hall of fame, but being able to win this award 4 times in a row in the most competitive era of the VHL ever would be extraordinary. My recollection is that Low and Braxton didn't really have too much competition for the award (although that could be false - it was a long time ago), while Werbenjagermanjensen has had to compete with multiple, and sometimes more than multiple, players with similar TPE or TPA. For instance, there are currently 13 defensemen with 840 or more TPA, while Smitty has 865 TPA this season and probably had somewhere around 900 or slightly higher the past two seasons.

• Admin

Braxton had Higgins and Low had Bentley so probably more consistent competition but definitely not as much depth. 

Another factor to consider in the inevitable ode to Smitty article.