K. Olsen seeking the turning point

seattle-times-logo.jpg

Olsen seeks the turning point

Seattle (AP) -- What is the definition of a bust? Despite being taken with the second overall pick in the S33 Draft, and despite being among the league leaders in practice hours over the past couple of seasons, Karsten Olsen is beginning to feel like a bit of a bust. He has never been among the league leaders in points, and his Bears teams have never been able to get over the hump to the FInals.

"It's a bit frustrating, because I feel like I should be an MVP candidate at this point in my career," Olsen said. "But for some reason, my play on the ice just isn't indicative of the work I've put in."

But is that trend changing? In the very first game of the S38 preseason, Olsen absolutely obliterated the rebuilding Helsinki Titans to the tune of five goals in the first period and a half alone. Although he only scored one goal in the rest of the preseason, that particular outburst gives Olsen the confidence that this might be his year.

"Some of those goal scorers like Taylor and Zhumbaev on our their way out the door," Olsen said. "This is my time now. This is the Bears' time. I think we're reaching a now-or-never point, and I just hope that I'm able to be on the right end of history instead of a forgotten man."

Olsen only managed one assist and no goals in the Bears' first two games, but the winger recognizes that it's early in the season. An upcoming three game stretch against young goalies in Calgary, Helsinki and Cologne may help determine where Olsen will be this season.