Power Ranking the VHL's Theme Weeks

Theme of the Week Activity by Care-Bears-Forever on DeviantArt

It's Theme Week, Huh?

In Season 63, the VHL brought back its Theme Weeks. Each with a distinct theme, they allow the VHL’s members to write articles or create graphics in line with the theme. All in all, I think it’s a positive development - it’s a fun way to think outside the box and have members engage with weekly content in a different way.

However, not all Theme Weeks are created equal. Here’s my rundown of each season’s theme, from best to worst. As you’ll soon find, there is a reason I’m doing this. And remember, this is one guy's dumb opinion.

1. Season 67: VHL Expansion: Timed to be right before D.C. and Prague were introduced in Season 68, this theme was an excellent way to get members’ creative juices flowing, both in articles and in graphics. This isn’t a theme that’s easily replicable, but it provided some ideas the league could turn to in another round of expansion as well. It’s also a bit more broad than Season 64 below.

2. Season 69: Unsung Heroes: This was the perfect type of esoteric theme to me: It provided enough wiggle room that everyone’s definition of an unsung hero could be a little bit different, but still enough boundaries to make the content targeted and interesting. I really enjoyed reading/looking at this season’s entries.

3. Season 66: Playoffs: The playoffs are always what the member base shoots to be involved in, and I welcome the celebration of those playoffs. This allows for both VHL and VHLM playoffs as well, giving a little shine to the minor league division for potential exploration.

4. Season 64: League Expansion: This one is similar to Season 67’s above, but it was limited specifically to the teams imminently coming into the VHL (Moscow and Malmo) and VHLM, recently relocated franchises, and upcoming expansion drafts. Being so limited knocks this one a little bit, but I do like the potential for creativity.

5. Season 70: Potential Hall of Famers: I like the topic a lot for me personally and to promote engagement, but out of all of these, it’s probably the one that took the most work. Identifying potential Hall of Famers in an actual sense takes at least more than a passing knowledge of league history; that’s why a lot of people ended up with potential Hall of Famers that weren’t really HOF-worthy.

6. Season 63: Sponsor’s Shield Tournament: The Sponsor’s Shield Tournament didn’t last too much longer beyond this theme week, so I think that’s a good indicator of how people felt about it. It’s a fine enough topic on its own, and I understand the impetus of using the theme week to get people interested, but it doesn’t stand the test of time well.

7. Season 65: Season 66 Draft: I’m all for getting newer players a new platform, but having the entire league focus specifically on one draft doesn’t give much variation in what people are writing. It’s mock drafts, player profiles, potentially team needs, and… not much else, really.

8. Season 68: League History: As already explored, I’m all for themes that allow newer players to engage with the league’s history in a way that they never thought. This one was a bit broad for me though. Going too narrow can be an issue, but so too can giving new players 60+ seasons of a canvas with no palette.

9. Season 71: Recruitment: There’s just nothing new and novel to write about this. None whatsoever. Chances are, most of the topics that will be put up have already been debated in some form, or if they haven’t been, they’re likely too ludicrous to even be seriously considered. I’m all for the increased exchange of ideas, but there has to be a better way to solicit suggestions from the wider VHL user base that doesn't involve a number of people throwing things at the wall, right? Maybe I’m wrong, and an idea generated during this week will provide a boost to carry this wonderful league right into triple digit seasons, or we'll stumble upon the perfect infographic to generate engagement. But judging by the preponderance of “So. About Recruitment.” topic titles already, and it’s only Monday, I feel like many are in the same no-idea boat that I was in.

On 4/20/2020 at 5:49 PM, CowboyinAmerica said:

8. Season 68: League History:

I was about to disagree with you on this but then I remembered that my article in S68 was just me selecting an old game at random and summarizing it.