Ideas for VHL Community Activities

frescoelmo

Ideas for VHL Community Activities

-Chicago, IL

Were you surprised my article title matches the content?  So do i.  Anyways, with ongoing community outreach as of late in lieu of current events (in real life not VHL life) I thought it would be a good time to add my two cents...  ways to get our league more engaged with one another.  Although I certainly am active in the VHL, members have their various forms of interface when it comes to how they define activity.  I, for one, do not utilize the site more than I absolutely have to.  Some others don't even know there is a portal (they do not have good players).  So on and so forth.  More than anything, I see these options as a way to encourage new member engagement/retention.  Anyways enjoy:

1) Weekly Discord Game Night - we have seen some varying levels of success with this, particularly in the early weeks of the COVID-19 social limitations.  Simply picking a night and getting a jackbox game, poker, would be a fun way to get everyone to know themselves better.

2) VHL.com Article Spotlight - I believe we have had something like this in the past (although I do not believe currently, sans the concurrent theme week), but I would suggest 1 extra TPE for members writing an article about a new member.  Restrictions could be to first generation players, members with less than a certain post count, less than 100 TPE, etc...  150 words is quick and easy, doesn't require a lot of effort and makes the new guys/girls feel included.

3) VHL Video Game Tournaments - No TPE in this (inflation FTMFL) but maybe a graphic to the top 3 members in various games.  Most of us play the same ones anyways, so why not get a little competition for it?  Previously we have had games in the forum that had standings and it was fun to compete and try to beat out our teammates/members.  Doesn't have to be limited to computer games, could be PS/Xbox if someone was willing to manage the details

4) Book/Movie Club - Perhaps a stretch (and maybe not in your part of the world) but shelter in place has drastically changed my hobbies, at least for the interim, and I have found solace in doing different things than I normally do.  One of them is reading.  And I honestly can't be the only one.  Movies likewise, particularly with the various forms and amount of content that we have available now.  If nothing more (in efforts to avoid forum spam), perhaps a discord category tied to this or a member role who highlights one or both on a weekly basis.

#fresco2020 #elmo2020