Making Time To Take The Time

Making Time To Take The Time

When I joined the VHL, I was signed by the VHLM's Mississauga Hounds and one of the first people I met when I entered the locker room was the team's goaltender, @Bacon.

I did not realise at the time that this was to be the first of three teams we would find ourselves playing together on, in the short space of less than a season. We spoke a bit at the time but didn't found common ground on too many topics. We didn't really have any of those conversations that lead to knowing anything substantial about each other. It's often difficult to develop that sort of thing, what with the hectic practice schedule and the constant flow of games to play. After just 18 games with the Hounds, the season drew to a close and we both went our separate ways. 

I would next run into @Bacon at the VHLM draft, as I watched him be selected 39th overall by the Miami Marauders, the very same club which had drafted me with the 23rd pick overall. So the two of us would begin our VHLM careers as teammates once again this time on the Miami Marauders.  Once again, the locker was not really a space conducive to in-depth conversation, particularly with players like @dlamb and @dart, who aren't shy about coming forward and letting you know what's on their minds. Don't get me wrong, the mix in the locker room is superb, we have a great team atmosphere and the camaraderie is akin to a group of players who have been together for a couple of seasons, rather than a disparate bunch of guys thrown together on an expansion club. I think we have developed a sort of 'us vs them' mentality and like brothers, we can fight, tease and have fun with each other, frequently at the same time, without losing sight of our bigger goal to take Miami to the playoffs and beyond.

The everyday routine once again precluded our conversations moving much past the sort of locker room discussions that most players have with each other, although we did manage to move past the 'hey, what's up, how ya doing man', from time to time.  So, it wasn't until we found ourselves on our third team together, playing for Team Asia and coincidentally roommates at the World Junior Championships, that we finally found the time to find out more about each other between games and at mealtimes. For example, I discovered that our superlative goalie hails from Michigan but I learned something else, which I found amazing: While playing hockey @Bacon is also studying Business and Software Engineering at college. I too have a strong interest in studying Information Technology at college and so we spoke often over the next few days about our shared passion and how we may be able to help each other along the way. 

All this just goes to show you, that you can spend a lot of time with people, without ever knowing you may have something in common, something that may well bring you together and provide a platform for dialogue and understanding. Making time to take the time to talk to people is the first step, perhaps in these uncertain times, all it might take is the willingness to try. 

Edited by Andre LeBastard

13 minutes ago, Andre LeBastard said:

So, it wasn't until we found ourselves on our third team together, playing for Team Asia and coincidentally roommates at the World Junior Championships, that we finally found the time to find out more about each other between games and at mealtimes.

I love that you guys bunked together at the WJC, your chemistry on the ice really showed when you beat Team Canada yesterday!
step brothers bedroom GIF