Riga's GM

Greg_Di

bb44e1f036aba2e824d1f88cd826cbe5.jpg

For the theme week I decided to write about Riga's GM Hedgehog @hedgehog337

Before being traded to Riga, I did not know much about Hedgehog or Riga to be honest. Now starting my second season here, I have started to see how the locker room is run and how Hedge runs his team. I can say I have been very impressed and I am glad to be playing in Riga. A warm welcome was definitely received when I joined by the GM and all Riga players.

The locker room is always lively with discussions about games and the league. Players are never left in the dark on trades as Hedge likes to give updates on trade talks and who potentially could be involved. I think that is a great way to lead a team when you keep your players informed on potential moves and assets. You can see that Hedge likes to build great teams who are always in the discussion to win it all. Riga also is on the way to creating a new VHL record on most concurrent post-season appearances.

He is not afraid to make big moves to help his team and we saw that last season when Eagles, Acyd and Phil were brought in to help the team on the playoff run. While the team did not achieve its goals of reaching the finals, this still showed Hedge is willing to do whatever it takes to make his team better. While Riga has been performing well this season, it will be up to Hedge to decide if he wants to add pieces to help the playoff run or keep the ship steady and go for it with what we have now.

Another little tidbit I learned since being in the Riga LR is that Hedge loves to sleep but hey, that's what hedgehogs do! I was a little worried when I first arrived and the first few things I heard were SHHH Hedge is sleeping. Kind of caught me by surprise that a team GM would sleep so much but to be honest I believe that is what gives him the ability to consistently have a great team every season. Sleep helps the mind think better and I am sure in his sleep he is dreaming of the perfect line combinations, trades and strategies to make our team better.

With Hedgehog's leadership Riga has been having a great season so far, sitting on top of the European standings by 9 points. It has also improved my game play. When a GM believes in his team and communicates with his team about what is happening, it makes the players want to play better and harder for the team. This has been seen all throughout the organization season in and season out.

So far it has been a pleasure playing for Riga and Hedgehog. As I finish this article, once again the locker room is starting to echo the sounds of SHH Hedge is sleeping, and I must end this article as I do not want to wake the Hedge while he is coming up with our end of season and playoff strategies.

Edited by Greg_Di