Junior Review: Onde Sandstrom

fonziGG

Onde Sandstrom: The Giant Swede

world juniors hockey GIF

RW | 6'8" | 240 lbs | Age: 25 | :swe:

My story begins in in 1999. It was Christmas morning and I was opening a gift from my father. It was a stick and to be honest, I was confused for a minute. I had only gotten things like legos and hot wheels. Naturally speaking, I was quite upset. What the hell was I going to do with this big stick? My dad then took me out to the local ice pond and told me, "Son, I want you to start learning some of my roots. I grew up in love with hockey but grandpa told me I had to focus on other things. I continued to practice hockey every day and was invited to play hockey for a junior team and that's where grandpa stepped in and rejected immediately. From that moment on, I've lived my life mostly in regret. Until I met your mom and had you, I was very lost. I hope to be supportive to you if you want to play this game."

It was that moment where I told myself, I'm going to do this. Not just for me but for my father. It was his dream and if I can give him even a taste to how it would feel, I'd try my best.

Luke Thornton (@Jtv123), a fellow rookie with me on Las Vegas, had come to my family since he was 5. His parents had tragically passed away and his mom was my mother's sister. Luke was my motivation. He was my support. He was everything I could possibly ask for and yet, here he is as a teammate for me in Las Vegas. I'm grateful for everything he's done for me and I hope I was even 5% of what he was to me but for him.

I played local hockey up until I got invited to join the Youth Sweden Hockey Development League. Once I joined a team there, alongside Luke, we were unstoppable. Infact, some of the Swedish Hockey League teams tried to scout us to their league however my main goal has always been the Victory Hockey League. Luke also shared the same aspirations I did. We got invited to a training camp held for VHLM teams to see our abilities up close in person. We had several offers however we grew fond of some of the other members of this training camp and we all decided to join a team together. Venus Thightrap and Aloe Dear have been fantastic members for us to surround ourselves with. We know that we are going to be competing in terms of draft rankings however they will forever remain our friends.

looking elias pettersson GIF by Twitter