Ranking all of my players

solas

So I remember a piece a while ago by @Victor about guessing who he thought were different members’ favorite players.  That combined with the draft coming up for my new player, Jean-Pierre Camus, has made me think about my previous eight players (wtf, how have I been here this long) and where I'd rank them preference-wise.  This is going to end up being longer than a VHL.com article is supposed to be but whatever, I have way too much free time anyways right now.

1. Theo Axelsson: Probably pretty self-explanatory for those who are more familiar with my history.  My first ever hall of fame player, which was something that I’d been trying to accomplish for a while with the two-way forward/power forward build that I’d been thinking about making for my last few players.  Plus I got to be a part of two separate teams that were fun to be a part of: a ridiculous Calgary team that somehow didn’t win a cup, and the Helsinki dynasty that repeated in S54 and S55.

2. Willem Janssen: Probably my first truly “good” player, as well as a sort of representative for my time spent with Vasteras.  Never quite became a great player in the league (as evidenced by the lack of individual success) but I really enjoyed being captain and the whole “us vs them” mentality of being on that team.  Unfortunately I never really accomplished the goals that I set out to achieve (be captain for all 8 seasons, win a cup with Vasteras, etc.) but in this case the journey meant more than the destination.

3. Lukas Müller: Kind of a weird player.  An unexpected success due to the short-lived Project Player Two and the lull in activity during the 50s despite not having a ton of TPE.  The second Müller was supposed to be fairly average since it was my second player but I ended up getting pretty lucky with a fun Quebec team and a crazy S56 that came out of nowhere.  I was honestly inactive towards the end but got lucky and finished with three cups and a hall of fame induction to show for it.

4. Klaus Müller: My second player, and the first time I actually made a serious effort towards earning TPE.  Didn’t have very much individual success, but was a part of the late 20s/early 30s Calgary team that was one of my favorite teams/LRs to be a part of.  Hopefully I can reunite with some of those people again soon.  Plus the beginning of my Vasteras experience at the end, too.

5. Callum Sinclair: My first goaltender, and my only real experience at the position until now.  I think I got off to a slightly unfortunate start though as I created at a kinda weird time, and for the rest of Sinclair’s career my TPE earning wasn’t really at a good enough level.  Sinclair showed flashes of potential, especially in one playoff series vs Riga, but was largely unsuccessful and was part of a Davos team that just didn’t seem to live up to its promise.

6. Aron Nielsen: My return from inactivity.  Had some good moments - coming back to see the league way more active and the portal being more developed was great, and the leadup to the S66 draft was fun.  Being on the Legion for the last two seasons was nice too.  But my inactivity in between those periods held Nielsen back.  Unfortunate, as I was hoping to make a successful defenseman but could never quite stick with it.

7. Turd Ferguson: My first VHL player, created back in S19 and drafted in S20.  I never quite got much of a taste of the VHL as I wasn’t too active and spent my first three seasons post-draft in the VHLM.   There were some bring moments, including winning VHLM MVP in S22, but I was too young and not really active enough to really enjoy the league.

8. Ivan Morozov: Unfortunately, my least favorite player by a lot.  I was burnt out as far as the VHL went at the time, and IIRC my college work was ramping up a little bit.  Against my better judgment, I ended up recreating immediately after Axelsson’s career ended.  I thought I could get myself interested in the league again but it just wasn’t to be.  Doesn’t help that I created the player during an inactive period in what was, from what I can tell, an awful draft class.  Ironic that this ended up being my first VHL player to go first overall after four straight second overall picks.