Spencer Elsby's VHL Debut Interview

Spence King

Wow , to be honest its still surreal , it hasn’t really hit me yet that I have MADE it , I am about to play my first game in the VHL after being drafted by my Hometown team in Helsinki. I grew up my whole life idolizing these Titan players (one of whom being my new teammate and childhood idol and breakout VHL player Valtteri Vaakainen) and watching their practices and NEVER missed a game. Growing up in Helsinki playing for the Junior Titans Jr-A Liiga since the age of 12 for the U16 Program and paving my way to the U20 team by the age of 15, allowed me to be surrounded by some of the best payers in the world at such a young age, this invaluable time has given me such a better understanding of the game and I truly believe my hockey IQ is one of the best on the planet, and I have no issue saying that as my play speaks for itself.

The reality of lacing up tonight to play against the best players on the planet has yet to hit me and hearing my name called by the Titans on draft day is a moment that is impossible for myself and my family to ever forget. This truly is and has been what I have been working for my whole life. The feelings are indescribable having made it this far in my journey, dedicating hours to practicing on my own and off ice training as well as soaking up all the knowledge possible with guidance from my GMs  developing myself into a complete 2-way defenceman.

Wearing my reapers Jersey for the last time had genuine tears on it. Leaving the Reapers Organization and Philadelphia/VHLM has not been easy, I cant thank @DMaximus enough for believing in me and drafting me as a first gen nobody and putting so much individual attention and always dedicating his time to be there for me made my VHLM experience unforgettable and I’m honestly sad to be leaving the league. After a record season for the Reapers coming to a early ending in OT of Game 7 in the playoffs Semi Finals losing to the SSK team that continued and were named Founders Cup Champions. This shows easily right there that one different bounce and the S72 Reapers would have been Founder Cup Champions, Hockey truly is a game of inches and seconds.

Its finally hitting me, having made it this far in my journey I cant thank the Titans Organization enough for everything they have done for me since the moment I my name was called and Jubo officially welcomed me to the team with a firm handshake and the moment I put that jersey on and MY Titans draft day hat that I earned still doesn’t feel real. Literally Instantly after being drafted I had received a call from Helsinki's Front office welcoming me to the team as well as several current VHLers on the Titans welcoming me to the team. @Jubo07 had been training Vaak and in Finland this preseason where I have made tremendous improvement in my Puck handling and strength with the puck on my stick allowing me to be more dominant with the puck as well as my edge work and also spent a month training with Sami Salo working on my shutdown defensive D game and watching hockey together and picking his brain as to how he sees the play unfolding from his perspective. Overall I cant wait to show the word the improvements I am continuing to make every day and watch me develop into a star/cult player here in Helsinki with goals of having my #47 Jersey Hanging in the rafters when its time to retire.

Edited by Spence King