What it’s like playing for Ottawa

Today we talked to Ottawa’s 2nd overall pick Alec Volchenkov and see what his time in the city so far has been like.

Tell us a bit about how Ottawa has treated you so far and your experiences with the city/ fans.

”Oh it’s been great so far! I knew coming in that the fans are passionate from when I was here last season with the Wild but it’s totally different when they’re cheering for you instead. The fans have been awesome, they’re always asking to pictures and for autographs. They’ve really embraced me as their own even though not too long ago I was here winning a playoff series. The city is a great place to live though, I know I’ll only be here a season before I go over to London but I’d like to be able to bring a cup here before that happens.”

How do you feel about the role you’ve been given as the dedicated 2nd line Center?

”You know, everyone wants that first line role but I’ve been getting plenty of minutes and if that’s what it takes for the team to succeed, then I accept my role. We all have a job to do and we just want to win. If we can spread out the talent a bit and be successful that’s all that matters. The guys on the team are great and our locker room is solid. There are expectations that come with being a high pick in the draft but I feel I’ve been playing up to that standard so far. I hope to continue that trend as the season goes on.”

Congrats on being named one of the Assistant Captains, what was your reaction to that?

”I was pretty excited to be given one of the A’s. Even if I wasn’t named I’m just happy to be here playing. I hope to be a good leader to the guys and bring a bit of a veteran presence to the M along with that playoff experience.”

Thats all we have for today. Thanks to Volchenkov for taking the time to do this interview and until next time!