SITR: New York Americans Post Draft Interview

SITR: New York Americans Post Draft Interview

Host:     Welcome back! Thanks for tuning into VHL Network, Stick In The Rink! Today is September 10, draft day in the VHL, and we are in luck today! We have a special guest. Please welcome @dlamb  AGM of the VHL New York Americans! (round of applause and cheering in the background)

Welcome dlamb! Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to come on in today!

dlamb: Thank you for having me!

Host: I know it must be quite busy with the start of the off-season, so we'll get straight into the interview. First of all, now that Season 73 has finally ended, what are your thoughts on the Americans' season in S73? Did the team meet expectations and year-end goals?

dlamb: Thank you. I joined on as an AGM for New York mid-way through the season, and while there were rough patches, for the most part the team was near the top of the standings. With a good amount of players on our team either retiring or going to UFA, the expectation was to end on a high note for most of those guys. Unfortunately, while it still was a good season overall, a Game 7 loss to Calgary ending our season hurt.

Host: What did you feel was the biggest surprise in S73? Did you pay attention to the VHLM or were your focus mainly in the VHL?

dlamb: In my opinion, it is either the rise of Sigard Gunnar @Big Mac with an amazing league leading 60 goals and 119 points with the expansion LA Stars, or the surprise Helsinki Titans taking the EU conference and making the Continental Cup final. I also have a foot in the VHLM as well, however my Miami Marauders lost in the finals. (dlamb shows a rather hurt and sad expression before relaxing and returning to a cheerful mood a moment later)

Host: As an AGM of a VHL team, how is your experience and cooperation with your team boss GM @Esso2264? What are your primary duties for the team? Any thoughts on taking a GM position if one becomes available?

dlamb: Esso makes it easy for me, he's a really cool guy and I am more than happy to be working with him. Primarily I am a second opinion for Esso, helping out with things like scouting, posting in the locker room, and doing weekly press conferences. If a GM position were to become available I would probably apply, but I do not know if I have the experience to take on that role just yet.

Host: You just finished the S74 VHL draft. What are your thoughts on the draft? Did you get the players whom you had your eyes on? Overall how satisfied are you with how the team did in the draft?

dlamb: I talked to quite a few players, and for the most part we got the guys we wanted. Of course some got taken, as expected, but it wasn't a bad draft at all. I think me and GM Esso are quite happy with the players we got. 

Host: With the draft over, who do you feel won the S74 VHL draft? Were there any sleepers or steals in this draft? Any surprises popped up? If you had a do over, would you have drafted differently?

dlamb: It's definitely too early to tell, anyone can go inactive at any given time. I do think DCD got a steal in the Hoffmann brothers, as those were guys I know outside of VHL. I think Leo Strauss @gregreg won the draft, getting drafted not once, not twice, but three times in 1 day! (a few giggles and cheers could be heard in the background audience) I don't think we would do anything different, we're quite happy.

Host: There was a lot of Retirements to your S73 veterans and also a few left to experience Free Agency. What are the plans for this off-season free agency?

dlamb: Honestly starting to plan now. Not quite sure of this yet, we plan to be active, and see where that takes us.

Host: How many players are you expecting to play for you in S74? Would you be utilizing any of your most recent draftees?

dlamb: Right now we have 10 on the roster, but like I said, we will try and be active in free agency. Markus Schauer @Plate will probably be the only S74 draftee to be up with us next season, but you never know.

Host: What do you feel is the current direction of your team? What are your plans for your team's future? What's the goal for your team in the next season?

dlamb: We are going to continue to develop the players we have, and build around them in the draft and free agency to develop a team that can be dangerous in the near future. I'd like to say that playoffs are a goal for next season

Host: Who do you feel will be the Rookie of the Year for S74 in the VHL? Who do you feel will step up the most on your team for S74?

dlamb: Dakota Lamb of the Warsaw Predators will get my vote for S74 Rookie of the Year for sure. (a few giggles could be heard in the background) But of course, I have to give a shoutout to my boy Markus Schauer too. With the recent retirement of franchise goalie A Red Guy @.sniffuM, I feel like one of our rookie goalies, whether it be Bacon @Bacon or Cal Conway @Shaka, will step up for us in a big way.

Host: Currently, you only have two players signed for longer than one season. With the direction the team is taking, who do you plan to build the team around? Is there someone who you feel would be leading the team into the future or do you plan to find that someone out in free agency?

dlamb: I think we like the core group we have right now. For the most part we tried to get players that would be here for the long haul, now all that's left is to "trust the process". Building from within is always more exciting, building around people you took a chance on.

Host: What is the most important quality you are seeking in players who you plan to bring into the team's fold? What is the style of play for your team moving forward?

dlamb: For me personally, it comes down to 1 thing. Activity. I'll take an active player over a non-active one every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Activity is a big part of the reason we drafted the way we did. As for style of play, we will have to see with this iteration of the new-look NYA.

Host: Alright! Looks like we are almost out of time. Is there any parting words you want to give to the audience and the fans out there?

dlamb: Thank you to all of our fans, and good luck to our draftees wherever they may be this upcoming season. Go NYA!  (loud cheers and applause in the background)

Host: (talking over the background cheering) Thank you for such a wonderful interview dlamb! We hope to have you come on again in the future! Best of luck in free agency and the upcoming season! (continual cheers and applause could be heard from the background audience)

[Total Word Count: 1238]

(Claim for Weeks Ending September 13 and 20)