Onde Slow Start in Vancouver

fonziGG

wolves GIF

"It's been a difficult start for me so far this season. I've been struggling adapting to the new team and city however I can totally understand and see why they are a perennial powerhouse team and one of the best franchises within the league. I know it'll take me a little bit of time to get settled, especially as a young Swede within another new country."

It's been quite clear that Onde Sandstrom has been having a bit of a troubling time adjusting to North American life. Especially since none of his family has moved over from Sweden except for his cousin in Calgary. While an hour away from Vancouver via flight, it's still not the same since he's not apart of Ondes day to day life.

"I've been in contact with my family every single day and it's been positive. It seems like my parents will be retiring by the end of the year and will be relocating the entire family over here. It helps that I'm the eldest of my siblings as well considering my younger sisters are all around 10 to 14 years old. My three sisters are incredibly hard working and want to become professional hockey players as well. I'm motivated because I know they will thrive here with many hockey programs that are available in Canada. I've told them though, no matter what happens, they must represent Sweden and they've agreed with me. Canada is now our home, however Sweden will be our origins."

Onde seems like he will be setting down roots with his family here in Vancouver. We caught up with him in regards to his play since joining Vancouver as well. We know he has a lot to offer and yet still hasn't exploded yet.

"While I haven't struggled on the ice per say, I know there is a ton to learn from the coaching staff. We've developed a program that will help my puck handling ability. It's been a rough part of my game recently since I'm not finding much space on the ice however it's going to come pretty quickly and when it does, I'll hopefully be scoring like no tomorrow. I've also been putting in work in the gym in order to help grow my strength up in game. It's been a bit of a struggle getting deep on net and imposing myself on the ice. Heck, I'm 6'8" and nearly 250 lbs. I should be bale to drive in and get some dirty goals in."

While it's only been 7 games and he's put up only 3 assists, the season will get on. He's been a physical member on the ice with his 10 hits and 8 plus-minus. It's only a matter of time before Onde starts putting up the points and being a force within the league. It's not like he's playing in a way that doesn't suit his game either, he's playing that dominant physical winger that Vancouver truly needed. He just needs to goals and assists to start coming together.