jRuutu

Earlier this week I moved from Helsinki to Seattle. Tough to move away from the team that drafted me years ago, but at the same time this is the start to totally new adventure and for that I'm excited. Before making my debut for Seattle against London United I only had time to practice with the team once, but I still managed to score a goal on the debut and we won, so that was great!

Everybody in the team has been nice, but I felt some tension coming from the coaches in the first practice I had with the Bears. During one of the drills, I was basically singled out for my inability to play defense. I was supposed to backcheck after a turnover, but I did the good old ''controller disconnect'' instead to save energy.  I must admit that I did not get the point the coaches tried to make, yea it's nice that everybody could defend, but why are they yelling at me for? I'm -26 on the year after 50+ games, I'm not in this league to play defense.

I don't know if it was my thick mane or my response to being singled out, but that was that, we kept it moving and practice went on just fine after that.

2 hours ago, bigAL said:

Way to just own it, defense is for nerds anyways

Exactly, last time I checked I'm a winger, defenders defend and attackers attack.

2 hours ago, DangerGolding said:

Doesn't that mean you not playing offence either ? Just score more.

Sometimes it does, but most of the time it's all about the O-zone and trying to score!

Edited by jRuutu

22 minutes ago, jRuutu said:

most of the time it's all about the O-zone and trying to score!

The haters will call it "cherry picking" but you call it "anticipating the play", just stay in the O-zone and try to score no matter where the puck is on the ice

23 minutes ago, bigAL said:

The haters will call it "cherry picking" but you call it "anticipating the play", just stay in the O-zone and try to score no matter where the puck is on the ice

''Advanced positioning'' its called, I think. But I agree, why skate back when you almost surely get a breakaway if the puck is thrown out of the defensive zone fast, who looks silly then?