The Day Before a Big Game

thadthrasher

Tomorrow’s first puck drop marks the beginning of S75 in the VHL/M. This season brings with it an incredible number of new faces in the VHL, indicating that the league is certainly expanding. With just around 350 names entered in for drafting into the VHL/M it is clear that there is robust variety of players and personalities around the league this season.

As everyone knows, hockey players are a bit superstitious. As a new face in the league, and being fairly new to hockey itself, we asked Thadius Sales, starting goaltender for the Miami Marauders, what his process was the day before a big game.

Well, tomorrow is the first day that I wear the Marauders sweater. Since this will be the first game of my rookie season, I’m a bit nervous. Today I woke up early and did the following...

1.     Meditated naked on my floor to the soothing sounds of Cannibal Corpse

2.     Punched my wall with my catching hand to toughen it up (odd enough it hurts to move it)

3.     Mixed toothpaste and orange juice together and took a gallon’s worth of shots of the mixture

4.     Ate a whole pizza

5.     Visited the elderly home nearby (obviously, they made me put clothes on first)

6.     Aggressively walked home. Not in a power walking way, but more of a trot

7.     Air boxed in front of my fish tank (I found that scarring my fish makes me feel stronger)

8.     Loaded a pitch machine with rocks and practiced stopping them (It makes me feel like I’m back at home, in the clink)

9.     I jumped on my neighbor’s trampoline for a bit (though they seemed concerned. They look like nice people, I’ll have to introduce myself later)

10.  Finally, I stared at my mask for about 6 hours.

After all of that, I feel more ready than ever to make this first game a great one.

Again, Sales appears to be one of the most unorthodox players in the VHLM at the moment, but for Miami’s sake we hope this pre-game ritual is something that works. Let’s hope the team’s athletic trainer can take a look at that hand, and encourage Sales to stop punching walls.

----

370 words. Claiming for week ending 22 Nov