Fun fact!

Victor

• Admin

I don’t have many fun facts this festive season because I don’t have a laptop to access my lovely spreadsheets (which is also why there’s no trivia this week but not to worry, a knight in shining armour will arrive next week) and I will certainly not be updating them on my phone, so….. let’s see how far I can drag out this article on one fun fact I can think of.

Every single expansion franchise in VHL history made the playoffs by their 3rd season, except two. One was the Cologne Express who are now defunct, the other is the LA Stars…..

If memory serves, Quebec made the playoffs in their 2nd season, so earlier than anyone else, but missed it the following as this was actually due to the extreme disparity in the North American Conference in S32. Quebec is also technically gone via relocation so quite clearly the optimal time to lose your playoff virginity is in your 3rd season exactly.

The Moscow Menace did it and look at us now. Best franchise in the league’s entire history. The Malmo Nighthawks, DC Dragons, and Prague Phantoms also did it with less subsequent success but it’s OK, they still have time. And now the Chicago Phoenix, and the other two have done it as well so welcome to the club boys! We are all decently successful expansion teams.

The Stars need to sort it out though. More like the LA Black Holes am I right.