Rituals

Gaikoku-hito

Rituals   

6 members have voted

1. 1. Is Robert Bouchard of the Prague Phantoms Crazy for having so many weird and wonderful rituals?

• Yes, but everyone is a bit crazy.
    • Yes, But he takes it to a whole new level.
    • Heck, Yes!! He should be locked away
    • No, Seems normal to me but does that make me crazy too?
    • Nope, He is normal
    • Everyone has rituals. It doesn't make us crazy or does it>

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/23/2021 at 03:00 PM

Rituals Logo - LogoDix

Response to Justin Lose @youloser1337 article rituals as he was curious what other rituals other players have before games:

Day before games: Light morning skate working puck skill drills, power play and technical aspects of my game that needs a bit of work. Small lunch as I am looking to detox a bit so usually I am looking at Salad with chicken or tuna salad, lite dressing or now dressing. Afternoon nap followed by an afternoon skate with the team more edge work drills with or without the puck. Will also work on hand eye, tipping pucks and quick plays around the net again focus on skate work and edges. Small supper again salad as I am still detoxing the day before the game. Usually more protein in take to repair some of the body so sesame chicken salad or chick peas and tuna salad. This is followed by a gym work-out to stretch some of the muscles and work on any nicks and bangs that I might be working through. Followed by hot bath, sauna or hot springs bath to relax. Massage and then off to bed around 9pm.  

Hockey Canada Skill Development | Skating

Puck skill drills done usually in the morning skate

Game Day: Wake up around 9am or 10am depending on how much my body wants as no alarms are set. Grab a quick protein based breakfast with ham, sausage and eggs. Try not to eat bread or hash browns as they will slow you down later in the day so straight protein and limited to no carbs. Skate in the morning at around 11am for 30-45mins again focus on puck skills and quick plays around the net just to reinforce the aspects I was working on the day before. Followed by pre-game meal pasta. Followed with afternoon nap for an hour or two then I head to the rink for the game. I am usually arrive 3hrs before a game starts. Usually a quick meeting with the coach to go over film of the other team and other teams goalies tenancies. Stretch and eye focus drills. Dress Left to right starting with my skates. Lower completed I will stretch to work out any sore muscles, maybe see the trainer if I require extra attention followed by taping my sticks as I listen to music to pump me up for the game. I am more an 80's rock type of guy and based on the song that is playing when I finish taping my six sticks is the name of that stick. Why six sticks? One for warm-up usually the first stick taped, one for the first period, one for the second and one for the third, one spare if I break on during the game and one for over-time should it be required. Sticks are marked simple by number and song name so #1 Eye of a tiger = Warm-up, #2 Black Betty = First period, #3 Thunderstuck = Second etc..... First on the ice during warm-up and first off the ice or at least leave the ice with a minute left in warm-up. Always shot left high, left low, Right high and right low in that order and won't progress to the other shooting area until I score. So must score Left high before I shoot left low and must score left low before I move to right high. If I score in all four locations It usually means I am going to have a great game. Stand at the left side boards when the team skates around at the end of warm-up passing pucks to the front of the net to other players or trying to pass pucks through the feet of the skating players to another player on the other side. If he is expecting it or not. I prefer it when he isn't expecting it and a puck lands right on the tape through all the skaters. Final stretch down on the blue line opposite of the players benches.

image.jpeg.27df8d29bfa9c09afad82fa198d7bcd7.jpeg

Always stretch on the blue opposite of the team benches

Last out of the dressing room before the game and last on the ice if I am starting. Will tap the goalie before the start of the game usually right high (glove) right pad, blocker and left pad before nut checking him for a quick laugh. Skate to center for the opening face off tap my left wingers shin pads then my right wings shin pads, tape my stick three times with the tip of the stick on the center dot, turn face my tender and wait for him to nod or take his stance before quickly turn right in a half circle for the face-off. Will usually tap the opposing players skates if I can usually trying to tap left before I try for his right. If I can tap both of them before the puck drops I know I am going to own him in the face-off dot during the night and I will never win the first face-off as I want to progress with a quick skating shift putting pressure on their defenders right off the opening draw as it allows me to quickly see which defend might have a hard time handling our quick pressure and I will attack that defender all night.

image.jpeg.7198fe90a96f4a32461c548cd8c7d1f5.jpeg

Last out of the dressing room and usually one of the first to arrive

End of the first, I will change out my gloves for a new dry set, undress and take a cold shower before redressing again left to right starting with the skates, again last out of the dressing room grabbing both my first period and second period stick giving my first period stick to fan on the way from the dressing room if playing at home or giving it to trainer to hand to a cute girl sitting by the bench if on the road. Start of second period I will not go anywhere near our tender but will repeat the left wing and right wing tap with half spin to the right to start the period. Again trying to tap the other players skates and again purposely losing the draw, unless we start on the power-play.

Pre-Game Hockey Rituals, Past & Present - CrossIceHockey.com

Dress left to right starting with skate first for warm-up and after every period.

End of the second is the same as the end of the first but switching my second period stick for my third period stick. Only difference is I try to win the opening face-off to start the third as now I want the puck and try to force an early offensive chance regardless of the score.

If I score a goal will not go down to our tender as I don't want to pass the scoring bad luck to him so that he won't get score on and I also must come straight to the bench as I don't want to start the play after scoring as I want a chance to reflect, celebrate and then refocus before heading back onto the ice for my next shift.

image.jpeg.0de1a91a8034246f3283f4b890677e12.jpeg

Equipment managers is my bf since I change sticks and glove all the time.

End of the game, I will always give my third or over-time stick away to a young boy with father usually around the penalty box area and my two or one remaining stick will be used as practice sticks the next day. They will never be used in a game and will be given away after practice.

I will undress never letting a piece of my equipment touch the floor as it must be hung or placed straight into the bag. Will ride the bike for 30mins to cool down and stretch the muscles, will lift weights for 30mins usually focus on upper body (Back, Chest and arms), Warm shower, dress back in the suit leaving the jacket off thrown over my right should as I leave the rink will stop for the first six fans asking for autographs, won't sign pucks or sticks as it will bring a goal scoring drought. Never sign a front of a jersey as it disrespectful to the team. Like to sign across my number below my name bar be it photograph or jersey and if photo is the front I will sign across my skates/legs.

Alex Pietrangelo - Alex Pietrangelo Photos - NHL Draft Autograph Session -  Zimbio

Just part of being a hockey player, signing autographs for the fans.

End of night routine: Steak and mashed potatoes with garlic and black coffee. Followed by stretch and hot bath or jacuzzi, and will enter the bed still wet as I want the weight of the water to dry and relax my muscles. Also want my room cool around 18 degrees so that the bed is warm but the air is cool. Helps get a deeper sleep. If we have to travel due to playing a double header then I will review game tape and read a book on the plane/bus or train and eat my after game meal of steak, mashed potatoes with garlic and black coffee. I must not fall as sleep or I will cramp when traveling and will bring an uneasiness/bad luck for a few days. When we reach our destination I will complete my end of night routine with stretch and hot bath or jacuzzi to relax the muscles. I also sleep in the bed closest to window if I am sharing with a team mate. No TV or social media until breakfast after the game.

Ace Swim & Leisure - Hot Tubs, Pools & Backyard Leisure

Jacuzzi or hot bath is a must to relax the muscles following the days activities.

So what do you think am I crazy?  And now that you know my rituals will you allow me to continue to tap your skates off the face offs or will you also try to lose the opening draws? Curious what you think?

(1538 word)

Claiming for three weeks

1/24

2/7

2/14

Edited by Gaikoku-hito

Definitely had to vote that Bouchard takes it to the next level, I've heard about hockey rituals but this a whole new level.

My favorite part of the media spot is the use of a graphic/photo of some sort for every new heading in the article. Some media spots are guilty of having no pictures (a lot of mine included because I get lazy) and it's something I'm always sure to praise. I like that you keep each paragraph pretty brief, about 200 words max and don't drag it out too much. It's a pretty cool idea to write a media spot as a response to another in the instance of youloser's article, not sure if I've ever seen that before.

10/10 media spot my friend.

36 minutes ago, a_Ferk said:

Definitely had to vote that Bouchard takes it to the next level, I've heard about hockey rituals but this a whole new level.

My favorite part of the media spot is the use of a graphic/photo of some sort for every new heading in the article. Some media spots are guilty of having no pictures (a lot of mine included because I get lazy) and it's something I'm always sure to praise. I like that you keep each paragraph pretty brief, about 200 words max and don't drag it out too much. It's a pretty cool idea to write a media spot as a response to another in the instance of youloser's article, not sure if I've ever seen that before.

10/10 media spot my friend.

Thanks for the love 🥰

The idea simple came about since I didn't think a 1500 word response to someone else media post would have been respectable as he came up the idea and deserves the credit for writing his article. No need to steal the thunder.

5 hours ago, Gaikoku-hito said:

Thanks for the love 🥰

The idea simple came about since I didn't think a 1500 word response to someone else media post would have been respectable as he came up the idea and deserves the credit for writing his article. No need to steal the thunder.

This is awesome! I didn't think anyone would actually read my media spot nor respond to it! Honestly I think this is perfect and I'm honored that you responded. Plus I think you did a much better job on this than mine. I guess I can double this as a review. Great use of pictures and detailed report for each. I wouldn't change anything. 10/10!

• 2 weeks later...