Linus Zetterstrom-Rookie Experience

Ledge

Buffalo Sabres: Rasmus Dahlin guarantees team will make playoffs

Linus Zetterstrom Rookie Experience

The first few games today kicked off the S76 regular season in the VHL. Linus Zetterstrom, a rookie defencemen for the rebuilding Riga Reign, was excited to put the long offseason behind him and get back to playing the best sport in the world. In the first two games, he notched an assist in both games, proving that he isn't just capable on the defensive side of the puck. And while that elusive first goal is still in the road ahead, Zetterstrom feels no pressure towards that milestone. 

After his second full season in the VHLM, Zetterstrom felt he was ready to make a difference at the VHL level. Thankfully, Riga GM @hedgehog337 did too, granting Zetterstrom first pairing ice time and experience on both the power play and the penalty kill. In a little interview after both games, number 26 voiced his support and respect towards the masterful GM. "He's a great guy, and he really knows what he's doing with this team", Zetterstrom said. "We may not be incredibly successful this season, but give or take a couple seasons for all our young guys to develop and mature, we will be a scary team, mark my words. We already have a lot of firepower in guys like Dolant[Fertitta], Cabe[McJake], and Addison[McLaren], so I think once those guys have some more experience under their belt, we will be champions. It is only a matter of time."

When asked about the cultural shock that came from moving to a foreign country such as Latvia, Zetterstrom waved it off. "It's probably a lot harder on some of the Canadian and American guys, moving to Riga. The culture is not totally unlike that of Sweden, and neither is the language. I've been to Riga twice before, and it's a fantastic community. Not as large as any of the big American cities, but it has a strong love for hockey and we want to give them some wins."

Even the looming basement finish didn't seem to bother him that much. "I know we lost our two opening games. It's always tough to lose, but I think we played our best, especially in the second game. In the first game, against Davos, we just didn't bring it. I know it isn't an excuse, but we had 11 guys making their VHL debut. I think it's no sweat, especially considering how well we played in the second game. We were up against Moscow, one of the best teams in the league, and we almost got them at the end. We lost 4-3, but there were definitely some positives in there."

The Reign take on the Seattle Bears and the Helsinki Titans tomorrow. Hopefully, they can turn this lazy start around.

459 words