I'll Claim This at Some Point

Gustav

11 hours ago, GustavMattias said:

GKnObCj.png

im going to try and be as brief and informative as possible, and i think this CNC applies to all of your sigs so maybe being aware of this dark technology will help you overcome it.

Besides the horrific text  (which could be fixed btw with adjusting the kerning/tracking, especially with script.... see how in walker the a l k e  dont connect, when they clearly and obviously should?  (like the bottom right loop of the "L" should transition into the upper loop of the "k") this can be fixed by changing the TRACKING value in the Window > CHARACTER panel/tool. You can highlight each individual letter in your font layer and adjust the TRACKING value to lessen/increase the distance between it and the next character........ ANYWAYS Im getting off-topic here.

Based off of memory and this sig and ur signature sig, a problem with your stock work is a very common one, where people will just overlay a stock image over the canvas, set it to lighten, erase/mask the face or other areas, and call it good.

In this specific tyler walker sig, I am referencing the pink flowing lighting stocks.  What I would have done is applied the stock like you did, and looked at what I liked about how it interacted with the render. In this case, I like how it looks over his arm/above the 7, and maybe under his left shoulder...

So I would

- DUPLICATE the stock. make the duplicate invisible, apply a layer mask to the original stock layer, and erase (black brushed) the entire layer except the streaks over/under his arms.

- reveal the DUPLICATE, and noticed "hey, this one streak way above the render kind of flows with his back/silhouette." I would then duplicate the duplicate stock layer, make the 2nd duplicate invisible, and then dragged/transformed/rotated duplicate#1 pink light streak layer down to line up with the render's back.  Then I would apply a layer mask, and mask/erase/black brush everything on that duplicate#1 layer except for the pink streak over the render's back.

- reveal DUPLICATE#2  (3rd pink light stock) and noticed  "hey, these swishes over to the right of the render can kind of line up/interact with the render if I were to just move them over a bit." much like I did with the flying pink stock in duplicate #1.   So I would then go about dragging/transforming/rotating the Duplicate#2 layer, so those pink stocks lined up with the render more on the right side.  Then, once again, I would add a layer mask and black out/erase/mask everything except for the pink stocks I've placed to the right of the render.

So basically this is how you truly cook a stock image. You don't just have the 1 layer of the stock. You have the stock duplicated several times (I've done it up to like 5-7 times) and repositioned/transformed/rotated in different areas across the sig.

Hopefully you found this helpful/informative and will consider this technique/idea when making sigs. 

Edited by gorlab

6 minutes ago, gorlab said:

Based off of memory and this sig and ur signature sig, a problem with your stock work is a very common one, where people will just overlay a stock image over the canvas, set it to lighten, erase/mask the face or other areas, and call it good.

I hate how I never realized this was an actual technique despite opening up a .psd pack or two and knowing that it was being done.

Good stuff; I'll try it out next time.