Sad Loss At the Gold

drewowo

So close... yet so far. Logan Moore was one game away from gold in the World Juniors playing for Team Asia. Everything looked so promising before the gold medal game. Asia was shocking the world so far, making easy work of Canada and making them look like Great Britain. They came out of that short little series with a 3.75 GF. They would also go onto make it look easy against team Europe and World, winning regular games against them with scores of 8-3, 7-4, and 6-4. When they got to the semi finals vs Canada, they absolutely destroyed them, beating them 6-2 everything looked like it was going to go amazing for Asia.

This team was one game away from taking the label of not being able to win gold on their backs. It was against Europe as well, who we dominated game 11 and game 15 against. But sometimes the hockey gods aren't on your side, and cause your entire team to fall apart to voodoo unknown magic. But then, the lights flashed on, the players laced up their skates, and it was time to go out onto the ice. And.. well, we got our butts handed to us. Europe ended up leading the shot department 52-27! Outshooting us 20-3 in the first, 23-13 in the second, and then us leading 11-9 in the third. That right there is just so awful, as every period they shot as much as some teams would shoot in an entire game. And then the penalty bug started to happen, and oh my did this kill us. When you take NINE penalties in a game, you're most likely not going to be able to recover. Europe was 3/9 on the power-play and we're lucky it wasn't even more for how we played that game. Everyone (me myself included) was just so undisciplined that game, and that's just atrocious especially in the game for gold. With all these penalties we took, Europe won gold with a 5-1 victory, and Team Asia held their silver medals in shame.

Overall though, I can't be too disappointed. We shocked the VHL with our underdog-like run, and outplayed our opponents in most of the games we played. Logan Moore ended up having a great tournament, in the regular season he had 10 games played with 3 goals and 11 assists for 14 points. He was a plus 6 with 15 hits and 18 shots blocked. In the playoff games he had 2 games played with a goal and an assist. He was a plus 3 with 3 hits and 5 shots blocked. Even though Logan Moore couldn't win in the World Juniors, he's still looking forward to the VHL this season and is ready to tear it up with the Bears, and playing this very competitive hockey over the last month has taught him a lot and changed how he played the game. He learned to take opportunities to jump up into the play and be a great offensive AND defensive player for any team. Even though he still takes penalties, he's looking to work on that and change his ruthless violent behavior on the ice. 

530 Words                                                                                         shaSJHa.png

Review: Really well done. Team Asia went on an unlikely run to the Gold Medal Game and despite the tough loss, this is a great take about it. The detail in the writing is great without being too specific, and the recaps of game scores give the user a good reference point. Well done! 10/10

Review

It's always tough to take a loss in a championship game - be it as a veteran member or a relatively newer one. But take heart - you made it to a championship game as a first generation player, and whether that's for the VHLM, WJC, VHL, or WC, it's all a very positive sign for your career (heck, it's a positive sign you were selected at all!). You have an astute eye in looking at the shots per period, as they're well-correlated with goals and victory (unless there's a large gap in goalie quality), and I love how this media spot captures the frustration associated with seeing that difference. I'm glad you came out of this experience with an overall positive impression, and I suspect you have a bright future ahead of you! I don't have significant concerns re: grammar or usage. Keep up the good work.