Reign Not Living Up to Early Expectations

tcookie

After a good finish to last season saw a young Riga Reign team get into the playoffs, then some big acquisitions over the off-season, there were high expectations coming into S77 that have not been met by a struggling Riga squad.

Riga's season started on a sour note with a loss to Moscow and then a blowout 7-0 loss to the Moscow Menace. After picking up their first win of the season against Davos, they'd drop 6 in a row, before beating Prague and then losing 3 more, leaving them with an incredibly disappointing 2-10-1 record, the worst in the VHL.

That wasn't supposed to be the case this season for a team that's at least widely predicted to make the playoffs, even if opinions are split on whether or not they're truly ready to contend. The Reign are certainly hoping not to find themselves in the draft lottery come season's end. Their poor start has even prompted questions about the futures of Ray Sheilds, James Rose, and General Zod in Riga, all of whom were acquired less than a season ago. For now, don't expect the Reign to move off the course they've set. This is a well-built team and their management knows how to build a winner and perennial contender. With the talent on the roster, there is no reason to believe this isn't just a cold streak, and the players echo that sentiment. "We're a good team, much better than we've been showing so far," says winger Addison McLaren. "I don't see any reason we can't get this ship turned around. Obviously not the start we're looking for, but it's a long season."

That turnaround hopefully began today for Riga, as they faced Malmo and Seattle and outscored their opposition 11-5 in a pair of wins. The Riga PP scored four times against Malmo as Ray Sheilds and James Rose led the way offensively in a 5-1 win, then Addison McLaren had his best game as a pro against Seattle, with a 4-point night alongside 4 assists from General Zod and 3 points from Isau DaMoose. Justin Lose scored the winner for Riga in a 6-5 victory.

The Reign will need to build off those two wins going forward. "We did a lot of things much better as a team in those two games but when you start 2-10-1 it's a long way back. So it's a start, but come back to me in another 10 games or so and we'll see how we're feeling about the season. Nobody's happy about how this season has gone," says McLaren. "But we do all have a lot of faith still. We all know we are not a bad team here and we'll get past this rough patch."

If things continue to head in the wrong direction, the team may have no choice but to look for new homes for some players. McLaren hopes it doesn't come to that. "I've really enjoyed playing with these guys so in a perfect world, we just start playing well and we can make a playoff run with the guys that are here right now. But of course there's a business side to sports and whatever happens, happens. You don't want to see guys moved who you like playing with, so there's a little added pressure to play well now, and I think we have a team that responds well to that."

Your media spot added some insight on the Reign's early season struggles and I enjoyed the use of player quotes in the article. I however would of liked some insight on why your team is struggling. I agree with you though this Reign team just looks too good on paper to continue sucking this hard. Just got to have some patience things will eventually turn around hopefully.

7/10

Edited by Seabass

Review; I like how you quoted in a different colour. I like how you added teammates maybe use a different colour for when mentioning them? Could use a little bit more spacing and for when quoting then bunched up. Good read and character you have going. Keep it up! 7/10